Wheels for TT

uphillstruggle
uphillstruggle Posts: 90
edited June 2013 in Amateur race
Started time trialing on my road bike with clip on bars. Managing just over 24mins.

Starting to look at upgrading kit and have started with aero helmet.

Before i make the inevitable step of getting a new bike i am looking at getting wheels that will give me gain over my current shimano rs 80's.

Living in an undulating area with frequent windy conditions what depth of rim is going to give me the best returns?

I know it depends on specific conditions but is getting a pair of 50mm depth going to make much difference at all or should i be thinking deeper rims for the rear etc.

Disc wheels would be out for the moment but would something like tri spokes front and rear be better.

Obviously cost comes into it- but any general advice welcome.

Comments

• RS80's (the 24mm deep ones) are surprisingly aero, I think the wattage saving of a set of Cosmic Carbones is only around 4 or 5 - so not really worth it. What about a Disc cover at the back - can be had quite cheaply.
  • Crikey. That definitely isn't worth it. I was thinking about cero 50mm ones from cycledivision but if that's all there is to gain there seems no point.

Disc cover maybe the way to go but seems a little fiddly if regularly changing.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    You said you have an aero helmet, what about a skin suit and shoe covers? £ for £ they would be a better upgrade than cheap wheels.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    A 50mm upfront and 80 on the back sounds like it would work quite well for you.

Handling wouldn't be drastically different to the RS80's.

This would also leave scope to get a disc cover and a possibly a 80mm front at a later date, which would give you a full set for all conditions.

As a sidenote a skin suit will save far more time than any wheel upgrade. Also kitting out the wheels in a good set of racing tubulars is also a must as you could easily throw away any possible savings by using naff tyres.
  • Skinsuit sounds like the priority.

I take it tubulars rather than even lightweight clinchers would still be the way to go?
  • hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    In order:

more specific training
    Skinsuit
    Aero socks
    Deeper front wheel
    Training with a power meter
    Aero rear wheel
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Surely the first thing to look at is whether you can get into a decent aero postion and maintain good power with your current bike set up and clip ons. Obviously without testing this can be a bit subjective, but you should have a rough idea.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Clip on TT bars are the first prioriy IMHO, as it helps you get into a more aero position.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    drlodge wrote:
    Clip on TT bars are the first prioriy IMHO, as it helps you get into a more aero position.

No it doesn't, it can make it worse. Most people with clip ons have them mounted too high without lowering their bars/stem or making adjustments to the saddle height. They then end up sitting even higher in the wind and go slower.
  • Good replies.

I have a powermeter and thus far using the aerobars hasnt resulted in reduced power.

Ive taken a few spacers out and now have aero helmet and overshoes.

Definitely going to hold fire on the wheels until ive thought some more.

Training also getting more specific so we shall see.

Are the aero covers difficult to fit or keep removing depending on the wind?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    To change the cover you have to remove the cassette and undo the fasteners around the outside. It's not a huge job but obviously not quite as easy as clip on clip off aerobars.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Good replies.

I have a powermeter and thus far using the aerobars hasnt resulted in reduced power.

Ive taken a few spacers out and now have aero helmet and overshoes.

Definitely going to hold fire on the wheels until ive thought some more.

Training also getting more specific so we shall see.

Are the aero covers difficult to fit or keep removing depending on the wind?

Yes, but if you're less aero you will go slower for the same amount of power
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Are the aero covers difficult to fit or keep removing

They're easy-enough to fit and remove - you can use fasteners, although it's perfectly acceptable to tape your covers on using electrical tape only (I've done this before) - IME this holds them rock solid - looks reasonably tidy too - for removal, cassette off on the drive side, then peel the tape off both covers - it's easy to reapply aswell (only takes around 4 - 5 mins to do a reasonable job of taping around the circular edge (for each cover)). (you kinda get better at it (technique-wise) the more you do it).
  • Tonight was a slightly better time with 16 watts less average power due to my legs being empty from sundays intervals etc.

On the plus side it was the same power i put out a couple of weeks ago with a 10 second quicker time in less favourable conditions.

Seems helmet and lower position are improving things- just need the legs to do the same.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Do you have a PM or are you using Strava power?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg