Challenge Paris-roubaix tyres

philclubman
philclubman Posts: 229
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any experience with the Challenge Paris-roubaix 27 Open Road Tyre?

Just managed to kill one of my Challenge Open Fortes hitting a pothole. I had to put a boot in the tyre and end my ride early :(

The other options that I'm thinking about are Vittoria Open Paves or GP4000s in 25mm, but neither of these have natural coloured sidewalls.

The GP4000s are the cheapest, the Challenge the most expensive, and the vittoria in between.

Any thoughts on these or other options to look at ?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was looking at these for recent trip to Flanders - but discounted them for riding in this part of the country as they lack resistance to sharp flints, so really depends on where you live.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • philclubman
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I was looking at these for recent trip to Flanders - but discounted them for riding in this part of the country as they lack resistance to sharp flints, so really depends on where you live.

What did you go with in the end?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I actually put a pair of Vittoria Pave 27mm tubulars as it's my retro-bike for the likes of Eroica and Retro-Ronde so won't see much action on my local, flint-strewn roads. I was originally looking at the P-R tubular too, but no one had a matching pair in stock for decent money, then thought a pair of P-R clinchers would get more mileage, but reviews suggested puncture resistance was pretty average and the Pave tubulars were only a fiver more.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Hi Phil, these are those I sold you?

Unfortunately I found that both Vittoria SC and Challenge tyres with tan walls are a bit fragile, when it comes to potholes... at the time I think I did warn you about it. I found you can repair the side wall with 3 layers of gaffer tape... it is very effective.
    If you want a stronger tan walled tyre, you might want to look at Panaracer Pasela... they are not as subtle, but they are stronger
    left the forum March 2023
  • philclubman
    Hi Phil, these are those I sold you?

Unfortunately I found that both Vittoria SC and Challenge tyres with tan walls are a bit fragile, when it comes to potholes... at the time I think I did warn you about it. I found you can repair the side wall with 3 layers of gaffer tape... it is very effective.
    If you want a stronger tan walled tyre, you might want to look at Panaracer Pasela... they are not as subtle, but they are stronger

Thanks mate

They are the ones you sold me and yes, you did warn me!

I think I'm going to keep the good Open Forte on the front and run a Challenge Paris Roubaix 27 on the rear.

Next thing to do is get some Ambrosio Nemesis built onto some decent hubs and go tubular.

Anyone know if the Vittoria open Pave clinchers would have fared much better hitting a pothole at speed (I know I should have hoppped it, but...)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I think Brian Palmer at TWMP reviewed the PR tyres some weeks back
    M.Rushton
  • philclubman
    The ride on the Open Fortes is absolutely sublime. The Panracers would keep the classic look, but don't seem very 'high-end', for want of a better expression.
  • philclubman
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I actually put a pair of Vittoria Pave 27mm tubulars as it's my retro-bike for the likes of Eroica and Retro-Ronde so won't see much action on my local, flint-strewn roads. I was originally looking at the P-R tubular too, but no one had a matching pair in stock for decent money, then thought a pair of P-R clinchers would get more mileage, but reviews suggested puncture resistance was pretty average and the Pave tubulars were only a fiver more.

Managed to find them on Koo Bikes for £40 and £5 off for signing up for their newsletter. Thought it was worth a try.
  • ugo.santalucia

Next thing to do is get some Ambrosio Nemesis built onto some decent hubs and go tubular.

Indeed... :D

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/med ... ail/16/356
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    This is disappointing news, I was really looking forward to trying a pair of these.

Hurrumph.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ugo.santalucia
    Asprilla wrote:
    This is disappointing news, I was really looking forward to trying a pair of these.

Hurrumph.

They are OK if you have good roads... before selling them to Phil, these were ridden by my Fiancee in France and around Richmond Park and they were perfectly fine... the problem is not the tyre, but the appalling roads we ride on
  • philclubman
    Asprilla wrote:

Hurrumph.

They are lovely (the Challenge Open Forte). Worth a try as long as you avoid the potholes! The ride is much nicer than my Pro 3 race 23's. I'm guessing because the construction is so supple. They also look great too.

Hopefully the larger volume of the Paris-Roubaix on the rear will be less susceptible to pinch flats and pothole damage?
    Once these wear out, I think I'm going to try the Vittoria Open Paves as my next clinchers.

My next rims will definitely be Ambrosio Nemesis, but might have to wait until fund allow.
  • philclubman

Not sure I can afford the Royce hubs though!

I'll also have to learn to glue a tub. Are they difficult to do?
  • ugo.santalucia

Not sure I can afford the Royce hubs though!

I'll also have to learn to glue a tub. Are they difficult to do?

No, they are very easy... I seem to recall you work in London... I can show you how to glue tubs. There is a lot of scaremongery about glue and tubs, but really, there is nothing difficult... fixing a punctured tyre is a difficult job, but putting on a tyre is actualyl easier and less prone to errors than it is to put on a clincher... basically if you take two chimps, one with a clincher and one with a tub, I know which one will be pedalling off first... :lol:

As for the Nemesis, I have built many Nemesis, including mine, they are great rims.. they tick all the boxes and for the amateur cyclist they are probably the best allround tubular rim on the market...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:

Hurrumph.

They are lovely (the Challenge Open Forte). Worth a try as long as you avoid the potholes! The ride is much nicer than my Pro 3 race 23's. I'm guessing because the construction is so supple. They also look great too.

Hopefully the larger volume of the Paris-Roubaix on the rear will be less susceptible to pinch flats and pothole damage?
    Once these wear out, I think I'm going to try the Vittoria Open Paves as my next clinchers.

I've got Open Paves on my weekend bike at the moment and I love them, with Veloflex Master 25s waiting to go on so I'll be able to to a comparison them.

The Open Paves are the previous gen 24mm version. Best tyres I've every used.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Planet X has them £20.
  • I have been riding them for more than 3500 kms. Very bad roads, unpaved towpaths, pavé (not the rough type though), I did a trip with them and still I did not flat them. In my hands are very robust and comfortable tires that rids very well, with good grip both in dry and wet conditions. They don't grip that well when it is wet AND cold, keep it in mind. My only complain is that they grow like crazy; on wide rims they are 30 to 31mm wide when old. I replaced the front one for that reason, it grew too close to the fork legs. First mounting is very hard, then it gets easier. The trick I found to install Challenge open tubular tires is using schwalbe levers, that can be locked in the rim to avoid the tire to pop out during installation.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Thanks for the info I ordered one to try & a load of merino socks to make postage worth it

Hope it fits as can fit 28mm but not 30mm on road bike

Even if its 30mm can use it on my CX bike.
  • Mounting is almost impossible on some rims
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wspSS_LX_Y

This works perfectly for me; one on each corner, and the third one to finish the installation. I used it on Fulcrum Racing 7 (easier) and on Kinling XR22T (quite more difficult but duable with the levers). Without the levers is impossible.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I used these for a couple of years. They're a lovely tyre for decent conditions, possibly because of the high thread count and (as mentioned above) they do come up quite wide - mine measured 31mm wide on a 17mm internal rim width wheel!

I stopped using them in the end because they're not that great when the conditions get worse. I found they lacked the grip of Michelin tyres in the wet, the side walls were a bit vulnerable if you're unlucky enough to catch something there (prematurely ended a couple of rides with a call of shame because of that, albeit on some gravel tracks) and although the durability was pretty good (upwards of 3500 miles per tyre), once they wear down the punctures come thick and fast.

Another issue I found was after the carcass took some abuse (either punctures or wear), the tyre would deform enough to be felt when riding on decent roads. Very irritating!

They're a pig to mount initially, but once they're shaped properly to the rim, they slip on and off very easily. Great for roadside repairs!

Having said all of that, if you're using them as a summer tyre instead of a year-round tyre, they're well worth a try at £20.