Help!? Gear Levers the wrong way round? upside down?

thestormtrooper
thestormtrooper Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Got a bit of a strange question... My bike gear levers were broken so I put my bike in for a new set at the end of last summer and then was out the country for 8 months. I've now realised that my new gear levers work in the opposite direction to my old set? and the opposite to any bike I've used before? is this normal? is it ok? does it matter?

Basically...

the large thumb shifter under the handle bar takes the chain down the chain ring (used to take it up)

and the small shifter for my finger infront of handle bar takes it up the chain ring (used to take it down)

I've attached a couple of pictures to try and make the explanation a bit easier!? help! :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you sure they only changed the shifters and not the mech too?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Did you also have the rear derailleur changed?
    Maybe ithat was changed to a rapid rise type.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As above. What else was changed.

You say chain ring but show the shifter for the cassette not the chain rings.

And when you say down do you mean to a lower or higher gear?

Low gears on the rear are big cogs. High gears are small cogs.

On the front it is the reverse.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

Sorry, I'm not too clued up on all the terminology. They changed the actual thumb shifters with a whole new thumb shifter part? The bit you can see in the picture that shows where you are in the gears from 1-9 and says Alivio on it? That bit is all new on both sides of the handle bars and also new cables. These are then linked to my original Shimano Deore LX derailler that was already on the bike etc?

When I press the big thumb shifter the chain will go down the cog to a high gear (towards smallest cog) and the finger shifter if you like... it will go up the gears to the low gear (biggest cog).

It used to work the other way around? I was just wondering if there is a right and wrong way? I'll maybe get used to this way? just seems a little alien at the moment and using your thumb for the harder shift seemed more logical?

If any of that makes any sense!?!? The replies are very much appreciated! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It can't work the other way round...... the thumb shifter pulls cable, the trigger releases it, to work the way you say the rear mech is what is know as rapid rise (or top normal).

The ONLY way it could have worked the other way round before is if the rear mech (derailleur) has been changed from conventional to the RR at the same time.

The rear mech dictates the operation, the shifter just makes it happen!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Were your previous shifters sram by any chance?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Only thing i can think of is that they've mixed the front and rear shifters up?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Really, so the OP won't notice 3 clicks at the rear and 9 on the front? Bawuhaha....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not to mention you'd need fingers floating in space in front of you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Good point... well then it doesn't really seem to make any sense...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • thestormtrooper
    thestormtrooper Posts: 5
    edited June 2013
    Basically the simplest way I can put it is... The shifter that I'd use with my thumb to change gear with, used to make the chain go up the cog and now it makes it go down the cog. The one I would use with my finger with, used to make the chain go down the cog but now makes it go up.

If that makes any sense? I just thought that it always worked the original way round?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There seems to be some confusion here over chain rings and 'cogs' and up the gears and down the gears.

Here's an easy way to confirm things:

Set the bike to the lowest gear - smallest chain ring at the front and largest sprocket (cog) at the rear. The red indicator in the gear shift windows should be on the '1'.
    Now push the right hand 'thumb lever'. Nothing should happen as you'll be pushing against the stop on the rear derailleur. If the chain moves up the gears (i.e. on to the next largest sprocket) then something is wrong.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    Only reason for that is a rapid rise rear mech. So either it's been changed or your memory is faulty.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks JBA and all others...

It seems I've fixed the problem and the conclusion is quite simply, I was being a complete and total f***ing idiot.

Thanks to all who responded. I now know the difference between a chain ring and a cog also!
  • cooldad
    And just use bigger or smaller, cog (back) or chainring (front).
    And ignore JBA as he is waffling.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What was the problem you fixed?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    cooldad wrote:
    And ignore JBA as he is waffling.

I think if JBA's post was second in this thread it would have cleared things up for the OP much quicker. His description made sense to me anyway.