Did you pass your driving test first time?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,625
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
How many attempts? How was the experience? Total of fault points (if remembered) How did you feel when you passed? Are you still trying? Did you try bribing the examiner??
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    1st time.
    innocent~0.gif
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    Ballysmate wrote:
    1st time.
    innocent~0.gif
    same here then the day after did a 400 mile journey to see relatives. scary at the time but looking back i realise how bad a driver i was.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • ddarkeh
    ddarkeh Posts: 25
    I did things a bit backwards passed my motorbike test 1st time at 23, got lost on the test and my head was screaming you failed so was pleasantly surprised that I passed, commuted for 4 years on motorbikes until I got fed up with welsh weather and just recently passed my car test again first time but I was adamant I had failed as I had to correct a parallel park slightly
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    1st time with zero faults
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    As with all the best drivers I passed on my second attempt, it was the 70's, the sun was in my eyes, the dog ate my homework etc etc :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    First time, one minor fault I think.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    First time for me :D I remember the test, Wednesday afternoon in Quinton, Birmingham. Half day closing as it was then. Not much traffic about.

I don't remember having points or minor faults. I think in those days you either passed or failed
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Third time.

First time I stalled the car once and, believing that a stall is a major fault, just kept thinking "stall, stall, stall", leading to me doing it 3 more times. The instructor told me afterwards that a stall is a minor.

Second time did a perfect test, went back into test centre car park and messed up my bay parking, which was really, really annoying as I usually got those spot on in the lessons.

I still hate driving.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Passed motorbike test as soon as I turned 17, no problems.

Took driving test at 23 in terrible weather, my MG Metro stalled at the lights and because lights and rear screen heater were on, battery was drained and could not restart the car.

Tester then had to cancel test and fail me, got out and walked back, and left me there!

Passed it OK next time though.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    1st time.
    Struggle to see how you can fail. All you have to do is study a bit and drive safely.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Yes.

Half an hour of total concentration.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • seanoconn
    Yes.

Horse and trap? :wink:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    seanoconn wrote:
    Yes.

Bit harsh, if Frank says it was half an hour I believe him.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    First time with 15 minors (or exactly however many are allowed). Perfect combination of first time luck and second time actual acceptability in my opinion! ;)

I stopped at a green filter light and got told to watch out for the Speed Camera at the bottom of the hill at one point (after I'd given up after the filter light) but still passed!

(massively touches wood) No incidents in 10 years yet...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    My first go and I managed to get stuck on a curb reversing around a corner...... and kept reversing, the examiner sitting in stony silence as I slowly mangled both hub caps. How he passed me i'll never know! My driving instructor wasn't best pleased with the state of his car on our return. I didn't like him anyway "Do this, do that...Stay off the motorway.....You're going the wrong way!....You're going to kill us!" Bossy git :roll:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    3rd time. On the 3rd test skidded on the emergency stop early on in the test. Thought I'd failed and just wanted to get back to the test centre. Instructor said that after that I relaxed and drove perfectly.

Now somehow trusted with driving a police car on blues! Woo hoo! :D
  • 1st time. Bit shocked when the Army examiner took me on a completely different test route to the one I had been practising with my civilian instructor but only had 1 minor error in the end.
  • Bike test (or Part 2, as it was called then) passed aged 17 at the second attempt, after muffing the first one thanks to an emergency stop which, although highly effective in retarding my progress, did involve coming to a halt with the bike at 45 degree to the direction of travel. It would have been okay had the Russian judge not given me a mere 5.1 for Artistic Impression. Second one was just bizarre because the examiner was in a car and the test was in rush hour traffic. I kept losing him whilst "making progress", so spent a good ten minutes of it sat at the side of the road, staring in the mirror, with the earpiece crackling with the words "nearly with you".

Car test was a first time pass aged 30 with not a fault to be seen. I've never been so chilled out for a test, although that was more to do with having fallen down a concrete staircase on the way to the test centre and therefore taking the test with bloody running down both forearms (kinda forgot about the driving bit, which made it all really easy) than it was to do with any sort of driving prowess.

I will happily confess to being a crap driver, and am completely incapable of parallel parking. I'm definitely a lot more home on two wheels, although having not ridden a motorbike for a few years, I'd definitely be hunting down a refresher lesson or two, plus a track day, before getting out on the road again.
    Mangeur
  • seanoconn
    I may be the only person in the world to fail a CBT test :oops: I can still remember the trainers laughing when they thought I wasn't looking. The walk of shame out of the test centre after being told I was the only one from the group who wouldn't be taken out for the road part of the test, was something else :( I'm sure someone f*cked with my cones!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    1st attempt but then I have the skills of an f1 driver (ish)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    seanoconn wrote:
    I may be the only person in the world to fail a CBT test :oops: I can still remember the trainers laughing when they thought I wasn't looking. The walk of shame out of the test centre after being told I was the only one from the group who wouldn't be taken out for the road part of the test, was something else :( I'm sure someone f*cked with my cones!!

I'm came pretty close to failing when I was 16 and had bought a 50. They let me have it with some persuasion - although they probably shouldn't have.

Picked up road sense etc pretty fast though.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    First time for me a month before my 18th birthday but I did have weekly lessons for 8 months as I wasn't a confident driver.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I failed 1st test for observation. Clearly I hadn't been exaggerating my looking round as much as everyone else does as I sure as hell was looking everywhere at every junction.
    2nd time round I was a bag of nerves and did the reverse around a corner with a violently trembling left leg. This made clutch control somewhat interesting.
    Same examiner both times. At the end of the second test when asked if I had any questions, I referred to his having failed me previously. In his most pompous voice, he stated; "We do not fail people, they fail themselves".
    I swear my driving during the 2nd test was probably as badly as I have ever driven due to the nerves (I had made a real mental block after failing) whilst 1st time out was my usual faultless performance. ;-)
    It's one of the moments in my life I still can't quite figure out what happened. Long time ago now though and not something I'd thought about for many years.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    seanoconn wrote:
    Yes.

Bit harsh, if Frank says it was half an hour I believe him.
    It was only half an hour. I nearly blew it when I went to get out the car before the examiner had chance to ask me a couple of questions on the highway code. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Passed mine 1st go aged 17 & a couple of months more than 30 years ago, after the instructor had unlearnt me (and all my siblings) about driving tractors. We didn't do minors etc in those days, you either passed or failed. I passed, my sister failed on the same day. I do recall booking the test beck in February that year when I was still 16 as there was such a backlog, partly due to the strikes through the winter. Discontent, apparently.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Passed on my 5th (fifth) attempt. Failed practically everything on the list over the year or so it took me to pass. However 30 years on i've still got a clean licence :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    1st time after 4 and a half lessons. I guess Mr Kyle thought I was going to be a bit nervous so he took me out for half an hour before the test. Did a 5 point turn but didn't hit the pavement or stall and I used the mirrors properly.
    Never forget the day. Drove out of the test centre right into the path of a furious taxi driver but luckily he didn't crash into me.
    I have never been so nervous before and since my test. I have never got nervous before any exam bar that one, perhaps thats whats wrong with me*.

*Thats not a cue for the Croydon Crawler to have a pop - or else, i'll 'ave you in BB. Grrrrrr......
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    Passed my car test 2nd time just before my 18th birthday, tracked veh's just after - curtesy of the Army. HGV passed 1st time at 21ys and motorcycle passed 1st time at 38yrs. Advanced driver at 36yrs old. Not sure if I need any others right now....
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    7 x months after my 17th birthday (there was a 3 x month waiting list or it would've been 4 x months) - 1st time - no faults - test lasted 23mins in total.................that was 25 years ago - eeek!