Bit of advice please

MickTheMove
MickTheMove Posts: 98
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
After a puncture on the rear, and the wheel being a pig to get back on, I went out last night and the gears were slipping all over the joint!
On inspection this morning and overdosing on YouTube tutorials, it seems I cannot get the chain onto the largest cog on the rear cassette, when either on the large or small at the front? I am concerned that when I refitted the wheel after puncture I put the chain on the wrong gear, and this is causing the probs, in reality I haven't a clue :oops: Any advice would be gratefully recieved, thanks

Comments

• Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    I am far from an expert, your rear cassette will probably need a little indexing tweak, go back to youtube, there are loads of videos there.
    I (think) that even if you had put the chain on in the wrong gear, as soon as you turned your peddles it would have righted itself. Make sure your wheel is fully and firmly located back into the recessed slots (assuming it's quick release)
  • Thanks kingy , I adjusted the indexer? And that has now got me first although it still sounds a bit clunky! I am going out to give it a run to see how reality meets my paranoia ! Cheers
  • Did you get them sorted?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like you haven't seated the wheel properly in the dropouts. Undo the QR and check that it's seated.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Cheers all, I ensured the wheel was actually seated ok and then messed with the indexer, that sorted the missing gear and nearly all the slipping, although I am now paranoid about any noise!

Thanks again for the replies