New high end trail forks

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But IIRC you never even try and set the RS stuff up when you have ridden it ;-)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Really? Was it not like riding a pogo stick??

Nope. Doesn't affect rebound, and never missed the compression damping. Did it on 3 pairs. Saves 100-120g too.
  • supersonic
    Removing the Turnkey damper from RS is not a bad move if you don't/rarely use the lockout.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    njee20 wrote:
    Meh, I prefer the idea of less adjustments. I never use them anyway. Prefer the idea of CTD.

The lack of adjustability doesn't trouble me, it's the lack of durability that annoys me with the CTD systems, especially for the price.

I'd be very reluctant to buy Fox again (I wouldn't put them on the car either - for exactly the same reason).
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    This forum seems to be the one mountain bike forum on the internet with a huge hatred of Fox forks, truly bizarre. Especially given the magazine representing the forums often place Fox at the top of their group tests.

Prefer Fox here, currently riding some ~2010 Reba 29ers, ~2012 Revelation 29ers and 2012 Kashima Fox RLC. The "lack of adjustment" moaning is fantastic, yet no one has even mentioned that this year Rockshox have totally ditched their trademark dual air setup, to save money/confusion.

No reliability issues here, I've had numerous sets of Fox last over 5 years, with only home seal services once every 2 years or so. Fork lube on them after every ride, nothing else. I've had Moco cartridges leaking oil out the top on Rockshox, air chambers knackering and leaking into each other internally, forks shipping virtually bone dry from the factory. It's certainly not a given that Rockshox are more reliable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But Reba's and Rev's are RS?

Not ridden Fox's, but too many people I know have had the stanchion coating wear through, usually just after warranty runs out and on the inside of the left had leg.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think this forum is quite balanced, there are lots of Fox lovers too (not me).

Rock Shock got rid of their dual air spring last year and us RS lovers had a big moan at them. I'm hoping they might bring it back but doubt it'll be any time soon.

Also I quite like the RLC versions of Fox forks as I can dial in some compression damping to stop it from diving all the time. Also tried a CTD shock on a demo bike. The shop owner told me I only had the 3 settings no 5 step adjust that Lawman talked about and again found in fully open it was too divey and in climb mode it was too constipated.
  • toasty

I know, weird huh? I've actually ridden both heavily to form an opinion, rather than just come on here and praise what I own.

I prefer Rockshox on speedy bikes to be honest, where I'll use the damping. Prefer Fox on fun trail bikes where you want super plush travel, every set of RS I've owned have just felt a bit choked. The Revelations were bought mainly because there weren't millions of cheap 29er 130mm travel fork options about :) They were great though yesterday some to mention it.
    Not ridden Fox's, but too many people I know have had the stanchion coating wear through, usually just after warranty runs out and on the inside of the left had leg.....

Lack of maintenance, squirt a bit of oil on, clear the stanchions after every ride. Forks will last for years. Even Rockshox service interval recommends doing this every ride, and changing the speed lube oil every 25 hours of riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Toasty wrote:

I know, weird huh?
    Especially given the way you wrote your comment I was referring to.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • toasty
    Especially given the way you wrote your comment I was referring to.....
    Prefer Fox here, currently riding some ~2010 Reba 29ers, ~2012 Revelation 29ers and 2012 Kashima Fox RLC.

I prefer Fox, I own and ride both brands for reference. Easier?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I wish shops would offer demo forks to try before you buy like with forks. But I imagine this is a cost that the bike industry can't really afford. Especially as it can be hard to get demo rides for bikes so finding a fork demo is gonna be next to impossible.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Basic CTD forks have only 3 positions, by the trail adjust ones have three settings for the trail mode, bringing it up to 5.

Sonic, I've had my revs for years and they've never been as good as my 32's and I've spent twice as long trying to set them up as I have on the Foxs and still are no where near as good. I've said before I prefer the ride feel of the FIT damper over MoCo and I still stand by that, to me, even with CTD, every fox fork I've ridden has felt better and been easier to setup than a Rockshox fork. I do however like the sound of the charger damper as its a sealed unit and should be more to my preferences to damper feel, as I've always felt on ROckshox forks they ride on the air-spring too much and don't rely on the damper, something the Foxs do and IMO feel great, so maybe the charger damper will improve on this. Having said that, Fox have doing the whole sealed cartridge for years, so I can see where Rockshox got it from ;)

If looked after properly a Fox will outlast a Rockshox fork, my revs lasted near as makes no difference a year without a service, until they pretty much seized solid and have been absolutely shagged since (thanks TfTuned!!!). My Foxs in comparison went 16months without a service, by which time they felt a bit less sensitive over small bumps and I quite fancied the low-friction seals so I sent them off and they came back better than ever, the guys at Mojo even replaced the CSU for a new Kashima set as they found a manufacturing defect in the original set and replaced free of charge, i didn't even know there was a problem! So from my experience, it's Fox hands down by a distance. Not perfect, still wish they kept RLC, but better performance, reliability and back up than Rockshox.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    To be fair, I've never been a huge fan of the moco damping, seems a bit heavy handed, if you know what I mean? Mission control is much better, lets you dial in the damping properly and the fork stays nice and active.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    Not perfect, still wish they kept RLC

As I've said in other threads, very good damper, one of the best. Not just the range of LSC, but adjustable blowoff for the lockout and seperate lever.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So many levers and dials never to touch ;-)

I must say that although I like the idea of simplified set up, I am relatively suprised that Fox have gone that way.