Freehub body spacing

Dfects
Dfects Posts: 8
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya guys,

I posted on here recently about something slipping on the rear hub. I've got a new cassette and chain to try out, but just in case I was researching whether I could get a new freehub body instead if it still slips as i'm still awaiting new grease/bearings.

I spent ages trying to find a XT deore m750 7 speed freehub body, but could only find 8-9 speeds. I tried fitting the new 7 speed just to check and noticed it was a bit short, then remembered there were 2 big washers on there before!

IMG_20130607_231847-L.jpg

So I assume that its actually a 9 speed hub, but the spacers/washers make a 7 speed cassette fit? It definitely has 7 speed shifters... odd! Is this a normal change to make? It always seemed to shift cleanly before

Just wanted to check that the 9 speed m750 hub here would fit if I need it:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/wheel-accessories/freehub-bodies/shimano-lx-m570-xt-m750-freehub-body-3bd-9801.html

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Yes, there's been no 7-spd XT for ages now. Spacers are used to fill the gap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Perfectly normal, 7 speed freehubs were soon superceeded by 8's and sevens fitted with a thin spacer.

9 and 10 speed are the same as an 8 speed freehub, only one spacer is needed, but if they are thinner then I guess 2 may be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dfects
    Dfects Posts: 8
    Thanks guys! Learning a lot from this forum. Hopefully won't need it but will buy another free hub body if I do and save buying a new wheel. The bearings were well greased and clean, seem free from pitting. Races nice and shiny :-)