Tommy Godwin - Year Record

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,163
edited December 2013 in Pro race
I was going to put this in road general but felt he deserved a spot in the Pro section. Did anyone see the One Show feature on this man and his incredible achievement? I'd never heard of him before but he's now my new cycling hero. In 1939 he gave up his job and got sponsorship to try to break the record for the most miles in a calendar year that had recently been raised to just over 65,000 miles. He beat that total in 300 days and went on to clock 75,065 miles taking just one day off the day after he beat the previous record to meet the Prince of Wales. I've ridden one 12 hour TT and managed 210 miles, it took me 4 days before I sat on the bike again after. He did just a few miles less on average (and significantly more on some days) for 364 days out of 365. An absolutely incredible achievement that will never be beaten despite all the advances in technology, nutrition and healthcare - the last person to try gave up after 3 months!

Now that's a Certfied Heavyweight TM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_(cyclist_born_1912)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Good spot

I'm going to post this again as no one seemed to notice last time but one of his equivalents here - http://thebikeshow.net/eileen-sheridan-the-mighty-atom/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    Good spot

I'm going to post this again as no one seemed to notice last time but one of his equivalents here - http://thebikeshow.net/eileen-sheridan-the-mighty-atom/

We had a lady who did held the end to end record give a talk at our club in the 90s but I can't for the life of me remember her name. She had virtually all the endurance records at the time and I think probably won the BBAR a few times. I love the long distance stuff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    If she was 70 at the time it was probably her...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Ha, no it just triggered the memory. It's bugging me now as she was a big name on the domestic scene at the time.
  • Pross
    Ah, got it - it was Pauline Strong.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That's pretty bloody impressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Tommy's mileage is quite incredible. I followed the daily twitter feed for a while (https://twitter.com/yearrecord) and it's mind-blowing.

http://www.phased.co.uk/index.php/tommy ... eater.html
    http://www.tommygodwin.com/

The one show is available to watch online until Thursday:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... /?t=10m07s
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    It's one of those records which is difficult to comprehend, amazing.

"The details that surround Tommy
    Godwin’s record belittle the
    modern cyclist. His bike weighed
    well over 30lb. As war came he
    rode through blackouts, his lights
    taped to the merest of glows. "

Sturmey Archer 4 speed.
    http://www.tommygodwin.com/the-machine/
    Good equipment comparison.

Tommy_Godwin_(cyclist_born_1912).jpg
    godwin_rain400x327.jpg

Seemed to be a modest guy too.
  • why is his front light on this side?
  • why is his front light on this side?
    Frames would have a headlamp mounting bracket on the forks
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    Very impressive. Does anyone know how Tommy's mileage was verified?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    seanoconn wrote:
    Very impressive. Does anyone know how Tommy's mileage was verified?

He found an 'official' each day (a policeman or such like) to sign it off.
    Insert bike here:
  • He would have loved Strava!
  • FocusZing
    He would have loved Strava!

Ha, yes. Good for when people do around the world records too.
  • I ve struggled to do 20 miles today
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    I ve struggled to do 20 miles today
    Only 190 to go, the wind might drop, chip up, you'll be fine.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    why is his front light on this side?
    With the dim lights of the time, you wouldn't want the shadow of the wheel to obstruct your view of the edge of the road. Far more important than being more obvious to the occasional motor vehicle.

What hasn't been mentioned is that he didn't stop at 365 days, but carried on to 500 days to get the 100,000 mile record.

I did 750 miles in 3 days once, and whilst I reckon that the legs (then) would have been good for 200 miles a day for a week, or possibly a bit more, I doubt the 'arris would have stood up to it. As it was, my big toe nail fell off.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    I was going to put this in road general but felt he deserved a spot in the Pro section. Did anyone see the One Show feature on this man and his incredible achievement? I'd never heard of him before but he's now my new cycling hero. In 1939 he gave up his job and got sponsorship to try to break the record for the most miles in a calendar year that had recently been raised to just over 65,000 miles. He beat that total in 300 days and went on to clock 75,065 miles taking just one day off the day after he beat the previous record to meet the Prince of Wales. I've ridden one 12 hour TT and managed 210 miles, it took me 4 days before I sat on the bike again after. He did just a few miles less on average (and significantly more on some days) for 364 days out of 365. An absolutely incredible achievement that will never be beaten despite all the advances in technology, nutrition and healthcare - the last person to try gave up after 3 months! Now that's a Certfied Heavyweight TM
    Oh, I thought you meant the "Real" well known Tommy Godwin
    Who raced and then did an awful lot for British Cycle Racing and only died a year ago aged 91.
    The mile eater died in 1975 and wasn't on any One show.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 47541.html

If you talk about Eileen Sheridan then you must talk about Ken Joy (Medway Wheelers)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Ned Boutling covers this in his latest book

A good read.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I was going to put this in road general but felt he deserved a spot in the Pro section. Did anyone see the One Show feature on this man and his incredible achievement? I'd never heard of him before but he's now my new cycling hero. In 1939 he gave up his job and got sponsorship to try to break the record for the most miles in a calendar year that had recently been raised to just over 65,000 miles. He beat that total in 300 days and went on to clock 75,065 miles taking just one day off the day after he beat the previous record to meet the Prince of Wales. I've ridden one 12 hour TT and managed 210 miles, it took me 4 days before I sat on the bike again after. He did just a few miles less on average (and significantly more on some days) for 364 days out of 365. An absolutely incredible achievement that will never be beaten despite all the advances in technology, nutrition and healthcare - the last person to try gave up after 3 months! Now that's a Certfied Heavyweight TM
    Oh, I thought you meant the "Real" well known Tommy Godwin
    Who raced and then did an awful lot for British Cycle Racing and only died a year ago aged 91.
    The mile eater died in 1975 and wasn't on any One show.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 47541.html

If you talk about Eileen Sheridan then you must talk about Ken Joy (Medway Wheelers)

WTF are you talking about? The 'mile eater' as you call him was featured on The One Show the day before I originally posted this. Plus I'd have thought the thread title makes it obvious which one I was talking about :roll:
  • deejay
    Pross wrote:

WTF are you talking about? The 'mile eater' as you call him was featured on The One Show the day before I originally posted this. Plus I'd have thought the thread title makes it obvious which one I was talking about :roll:
    Well there is no confusion now. :roll:
    Your post about where to put this was correct, in that this is the Racing section and at the time the mile eater was performing he was regarded as a Long Distance Tourist and never as a racing man.
    I used to buy the "Bicycle" and the "Cycling" every week and although the miles and places he went were impressive, he wasn't a major topic in the club house or on runs as we only did 12,000 miles a year while racing, training and touring with large saddlebags.
  • FocusZing
    5299247695_4318c6833b.jpg
  • Pross
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Your post about where to put this was correct, in that this is the Racing section and at the time the mile eater was performing he was regarded as a Long Distance Tourist and never as a racing man.
    I used to buy the "Bicycle" and the "Cycling" every week and although the miles and places he went were impressive, he wasn't a major topic in the club house or on runs as we only did 12,000 miles a year while racing, training and touring with large saddlebags.

Well plenty of other people who never venture out of Pro Race seemed interested in his achievements and hopefully learned about an impressive cyclist (whether he was a pro or even a racing cyclist) so I reckon it was worth posting it here. Besides, it's taken you 6 months to make comment on the topic.
  • deejay
    FocusZing wrote:
    5299247695_4318c6833b.jpg
    Pross wrote:
    Besides, it's taken you 6 months to make comment on the topic.
    Nah, It was this bloke who took 5 months with the post.
    I only noticed Tommy Godwin a week after the last poster.
  • deejay
    Pross wrote:
    Well plenty of other people who never venture out of Pro Race seemed interested in his achievements and hopefully learned about an impressive cyclist (whether he was a pro or even a racing cyclist) so I reckon it was worth posting it here. Besides, it's taken you 6 months to make comment on the topic.
    Sure they have and now they know the name Tommy Godwin means a whole lot more than some guy riding across the USA or the world.
    I jumped in because Tommy Godwin is a very respected name in the UK cycle racing history.
    Fer christ's sake stop bitching.
    You should have made it known that there were two riders with the same name. (but I don't think you knew)
    You do now.

Erm, What is the One Show.
    I've been told it's on BBC TV. :!:
  • FocusZing
    Pross wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It was a good place to post it and relevant as a cycling great achievement. He must have got through some cycling gear.
  • Pross
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Sure they have and now they know the name Tommy Godwin means a whole lot more than some guy riding across the USA or the world.
    I jumped in because Tommy Godwin is a very respected name in the UK cycle racing history.
    Fer christ's sake stop bitching.
    You should have made it known that there were two riders with the same name. (but I don't think you knew)
    You do now.

Erm, What is the One Show.
    I've been told it's on BBC TV. :!:

You're right, I didn't know and I'm always happy to learn. No need to jump in and suggest that was the one I should be talking about and as I said the thread title is unambiguous which it refers to. I started the thread having heard the story of the 'other' Tommy Godwin for the first time and to be honest I think it is probably a bigger feat than any 'racing' cyclist I have heard of (no disrespect to THE Tommy Godwin or any other cyclist). The fact that all these years later no-one has come close despite the improvements in technology speaks volumes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    Are you, like, 100 years old? Do you remember the velocipede and the penny farthing? Do you view derailleurs in the same way French Fighter views power meters?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    RichN95 wrote:
    Are you, like, 100 years old? Do you remember the velocipede and the penny farthing? Do you view derailleurs in the same way French Fighter views power meters?
    You work it out but suffice to say I was at the 1963 Flanders to support Tom, with a 20 minute Ferry Flight from Lydd to Le Tourquet. Now that was after a really bad winter.
    You mean those "Simplex Gears" with mechanical change (between the legs) on the Double Clanger. ? :roll:
    The Olympics were run for Amateurs in those days and not for Greed.
    Tandem Paced or Handicap races in Track Events, whoops Reg Harris sprinting with other World Champions.
    Ride out at 3/4 am to race a TT with Sprints (racing wheels with Tubs) on either side of the front wheel.
    Don't forget the Goon Show, aahh Neddy :P
    So are you Benny Hill's slaphead. ? :idea:

These day's you get Couch potato's on here mouthing crap they know Foook all about. :shock:
    So yes you can take the Pyss on someone whose days could be numbered but remember to keep the wheels turning, if you can. :?:
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    You work it out but suffice to say I was at the 1963 Flanders to support Tom, with a 20 minute Ferry Flight from Lydd to Le Tourquet. Now that was after a really bad winter.
    You mean those "Simplex Gears" with mechanical change (between the legs) on the Double Clanger. ? :roll:
    The Olympics were run for Amateurs in those days and not for Greed.
    Tandem Paced or Handicap races in Track Events, whoops Reg Harris sprinting with other World Champions.
    Ride out at 3/4 am to race a TT with Sprints (racing wheels with Tubs) on either side of the front wheel.
    Don't forget the Goon Show, aahh Neddy :P
    So are you Benny Hill's slaphead. ? :idea:

These day's you get Couch potato's on here mouthing crap they know Foook all about. :shock:
    So yes you can take the Pyss on someone whose days could be numbered but remember to keep the wheels turning, if you can. :?:

I find it really, really, hard to read your posts.