Tyres squared off

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited June 2013 in Amateur race
As most of you will know, tyres eventually square off and look like mine (attached). Would you say they're ok to race crits on (tight cornering), when they're in this shape?

I just feel that when cornering hard the sharpest point of the tyre will be in contact with the road, and get they impression it could be dangerous. Am I concerned about nothing?

What are your thoughts? These tyres arent that old and should have plenty if miles left in them really.

Cheers.

20130607_1601061_zps779ec37f.jpg

Comments

• shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    ShinSplint wrote:
    Am I concerned about nothing?
    yes
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    As someone who recently had a back wheel go on a corner because of a shite tyre on a neutral service wheel I'd say its important to have a tyre in good condition...but hey I've saved a few grams with all the skin I've lost on my left leg ;)
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    ShinSplint wrote:
    Would you say they're ok to race crits on (tight cornering), when they're in this shape?
    Yes, they're fine
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Look at it this way. Are you risking just your own safety, or other people's as well?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Herbsman wrote:
    Look at it this way. Are you risking just your own safety, or other people's as well?

He's not risking anyones safety because it's fine...
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Are you sure?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    doesnt look that flat, should be okay. though if it's going to be playing on your mind, relegate it to the training wheels or use it as a turbo tyre in winter.
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Cheers guys, i'l stick with them then. :)