Any Lorry Drivers?

Pumpkin Positive
Pumpkin Positive Posts: 392
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
I'm soon to be out of a job and I'm thinking of retraining as an HGV / LGV driver. I have absolutely no knowledge or experience of this sort of work, I've been driving a desk in the family business for the last 10 years. Please excuse my ignorance!

I'm thinking of a Class I licence as a bit of a safety net and to supplement other income.

Is work hard to come by as a driver?
Do most drivers sign on with an agency and pick up whatever work comes their way?
How much time away from home could I expect?
Can I bring my bike with me?
Realistically would I be able to use it when away - would drivers typically have enough time off while away to be able to get a ride in?

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Take a look at the Eddie Stobart website. I used to supply HGV drivers to a comapny so can give a little detail but no expert:
    Work - if you are an employee of a company you earn a salary and sometimes a bonus, if you freelance its as and when and work can be difficult to come by. There are quite a few eastern europeans working freelance and this has brought rates down a little over the last few years.
    Time away - depends on how you work, could be up to 80% of the time. If its long haul then you could be away all week. Freelance is mostly shorter haul but would get you home most nights.
    Bike - Maybe, depends again if you are an employee or freelancer. If you get a folding bike I cant see any issue. Time wise you probably wouldnt use it.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I think there is a huge amount of work out there and I'm facing the same predicament myself. Ive looked at trades etc and to be honest driving pays the same money and its cheap to train. Ive done a few years on the 7.5 t and its great fun sometimes but i can looked back and say i enjoyed it. I will be returning to it over the next year at some point and will do my class 1. Plenty of agency work about £15 an hour. Go for it as there will always be work out there. If you read into it there will be a bigger shortage soon.
  • TCR4x4
    TCR4x4 Posts: 38
    Class 2 holder here.

Its not as simple as getting a licence and off you go anymore.

For class1( now called C+E) you fist need to take and pass your class2 ( now called C)..

Before you take this you first need to take the theory and hazard perception test, plus pass a medical.
    You then also need to take the CPC, which has to be retaken every 5 years.

If you want to transport hazardous goods like I do, you also need to take ADR, which is the same as CPC, you have to retake every 5 years..

The CPC alone costs several hundred pounds, unless you get a very good employer who pays for you.. Most don't.

Oh, and you also need to pay for a digital tacho, again, most employers don't pay for you.

Expect an outlay of a few thousand pounds for it all before even getting employed if you pay yourself.
  • I deal with a fair number of haulage firms through work, hauling agricultural inputs and produce, and a couple of my friends run haulage firms. What I do hear them saying is that finding good, reliable drivers is not always easy. Even small firms with 3 - 5 drivers always seem to have someone who repeatedly hits things with the lorry or damages the unit or is rude when making deliveries or who is off sick quite regularly, etc.

Suppose what I'm saying is that if you get your licence and are a 'good' driver then you shouldn't have difficulty finding work. And yes, you could take your bike with you on long hauls.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be a discussion on dogging! :D
  • BigTK
    BigTK Posts: 47
    Class 1 work is easy. Class 2 involves alot of handballing goods ime.
    Many employers and agencies dont even want to look at you if you dont have 2 years experience.
    I love it though. Been doing it for 3 years now
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    The biggest hurdle is the two years experience. Im currently doing my class two application and stuff so i can try get some winter work in the uk. Im going back 2nd aug for all winter so bye bye bike! The two years no exp seems to be impossible to penetrate. Other option seems to be bus driving with the psv ticket. Some reason firms can take you on with no experience. Im paying for all my training, if it dont work its a £1100 loss but dont try dont get. Done agency work years ago and it was quite good fun actually.