So I Turn 30 in a little over 6 months...

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited June 2013 in Road general
so i think i should make a list of 30 things to do beforeI turn 30!

any suggestions?

my first is to build a bike, i have all the bits so this should be acheived this weekend!

i'm after bike related things, non bike related things, sensible ideas, non sensible ideas, dangerous things, things i'm very very unlikely to do but will make this thread much more entertaining, etc etc!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• drays
    drays Posts: 119
    streak at Wimbledon :D
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,535
    drays wrote:
    It's been done 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Put an egg down the front of your kex and walk down a busy street and how many you can bump into before the egg cracks :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    seanoconn wrote:
    drays wrote:
    It's been done 8)

Not by the OP!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Chris Bass wrote:

any suggestions?

my first is to build a bike, i have all the bits so this should be acheived this weekend!

i'm after bike related things, non bike related things, sensible ideas, non sensible ideas, dangerous things, things i'm very very unlikely to do but will make this thread much more entertaining, etc etc!

Cycle around the world; twice.
  • chris_bass
    seanoconn wrote:
    drays wrote:
    It's been done 8)

Not by the OP!

your assuming i havent.... and I err... havent!! well assumed!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Chris Bass wrote:
    your assuming i havent.... and I err... havent!! well assumed!

So we'll see you in a few weeks then?
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

any suggestions?

well last year i cycled 19,866.99 miles (according to garmin anyway!) and so far this year i'm up to 8,375.90, when mike hall cycled round the world he covered 18,175 miles so if i manage another 8,107.11 between now and the start of Jan i'll kind of done it!!
  • seanoconn
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

any suggestions?

well last year i cycled 19,866.99 miles (according to garmin anyway!) and so far this year i'm up to 8,375.90, when mike hall cycled round the world he covered 18,175 miles so if i manage another 8,107.11 between now and the start of Jan i'll kind of done it!!

You average 54 miles a day!? Are you a bike courier or something??
  • chris_bass
    i hadnt actually worked out the average! that means my average speed is over 2 miles an hour for the whole year!

not a courier, i just cycle a lot!
  • seanoconn
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i hadnt actually worked out the average! that means my average speed is over 2 miles an hour for the whole year!

Wow! Very impressive mate
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Chris Bass wrote:

54 miles per day at an average of 2mph... Something's got to be wrong in that calculation surely?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Chris Bass wrote:

LOL, that's like saying because I've driven 250,000 miles in my car then I've been to the moon.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    I turned 30 in February, bought a Cannondale Supersix. Im enjoying this 30+ lark so far. Im fitter, less stressed and happier.

Also, just in case you were feeling daunted by the big 3-0, don't be, its just a number, and only appears significant as we count in base 10.
  • seanoconn
    30's nothing. Think of all the elite sportsmen at the top of their game in their 30's. it's 40 I'm worried about, that's when things start going wrong and dropping off :(
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    seanoconn wrote:
    30's nothing. Think of all the elite sportsmen at the top of their game in their 30's. it's 40 I'm worried about, that's when things start going wrong and dropping off :(

Funny you should say that - I was riding up through Cheshire over the bank holiday weekend and met a lady cyclist looking for directions. Helped her out and we got chatting - she was doing LeJOG which I had done a couple of years ago. Her husband was driving support car and meeting up each lunchtime and evening. He couldn't ride as he had just had a knee operation. She didn't want to delay the LEOG until next year as "I don't know whether I'll be fit enough next year because I'll be 80"!!!!

Made me (49) seem a bit wussy.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    seanoconn wrote:

Worry not. I turned 61 in March and nowts dropped off yet. Not that I have noticed anyway. Also the drop in fitness is not nearly what you are led to expect. I still do 100 milers and big cols in France with energy to spare.

If you keep training hard you keep going. Use it or lose it seems to work for me.
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

54 miles per day at an average of 2mph... Something's got to be wrong in that calculation surely?

no, i meant that if you took every hour in the year to cycle how far i did it would be over 2mph!
  • chris_bass
    mike6 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Worry not. I turned 61 in March and nowts dropped off yet. Not that I have noticed anyway. Also the drop in fitness is not nearly what you are led to expect. I still do 100 milers and big cols in France with energy to spare.

If you keep training hard you keep going. Use it or lose it seems to work for me.

My dad turns 60 in July and i'm building him his first road bike as his present! He rides mountain bikes currently but all on road with slick tyres so its the natural next step!

I also grew a bit of a beard a few months ago, my reasoning is when my mid life crisis (well somewhere between quarter and mid hopefully!) hits i can shave it off and i'll instantly look 5 years younger!!
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    flip the stem and lower your saddle. maybe think about getting yourself a clip on mirror. oh and ditch the shoes for sandles.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    seanoconn wrote:
    I'm 40 now and I think I'm fitter than I ever was. When I was 30 I was still smoking and not doing any exercise now I ride in the fastest club rides and keep up with the fastest runners in the running club, I do seem to get injuries though... :(
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Only a number - said the 40 yr old
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    I am surprised you have time to frequent this forum with mileage totals that high - are you posting as you ride ?

:D

Regards

Alan (who has just hit 1000 miles for the year <blush>)
    Regards
    Alan
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    farrina wrote:
    I am surprised you have time to frequent this forum with mileage totals that high - are you posting as you ride ?

:D

Regards

Alan (who has just hit 1000 miles for the year <blush>)

Thats what I was thinking. You must be cycling at least 3 to 4 hours per day to hit that sort of mileage. You are not married then?
  • chris_bass
    nah, not married! couple of hours before work, couple of hours after! job done!!

maybe getting married could be on the list! any takers? I'm quite handy around the house!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lol just thought...'30 well old haha' then realised I'm only a year and a half away :cry:
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Chris Bass wrote:
    nah, not married! couple of hours before work, couple of hours after! job done!!

maybe getting married could be on the list! any takers? I'm quite handy around the house!

Unless my calculations are incorrect that works out at 54 miles a day EVERY DAY of the year ... that's some achievement as if you take a few days off that daily figure is going to rapidly climb .... respect
    Regards
    Alan