So, another 26 vs. 29 thread

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hey folks,

My apologise for turning over the stone once again, but I need some help, and it's more specific than the search function can provide.

Essentially, I'm deciding between 2 bikes, one manufacturer, but two competitors.

Trek Fuel EX9
OR
Trek Fuel EX9 29

...Go!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ride them and decide for yourself, anything we say here is just noise
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JMcP92
    If I had such an opportunity, I would, but finding those two bikes somewhere I can ride them is difficult, not much in the way of demo days coming soon either.

I am seriously looking for an opinion though, lot of money, want to make the right call
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    If you re racing - 29

if you ride purely for fun - 26
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    JMcP92 wrote:
    If I had such an opportunity, I would, but finding those two bikes somewhere I can ride them is difficult, not much in the way of demo days coming soon either.

All Terrain Cycles have a couple of EX8 demo bikes, and are expecting the EX 29er demos imminently.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Man spends months building bike... Rides bike twice. Wants new bike. Welcome to bike radar! Why the change? Neither will be as capable as a carbon 456?
  • JMcP92
    lawman wrote:
    Man spends months building bike... Rides bike twice. Wants new bike. Welcome to bike radar! Why the change? Neither will be as capable as a carbon 456?

I agree, why change, why not have both? :D
    This is my intent :)

Also, before more "why" questions arrive, the full susser for more long distance, long days, difficult terrain, mounting camping holidays and all that kind of stuff.

And hardtail for fun, messing about and general enjoyment, as well as it's fair share of XC, singletrack and so on.

TBH, my own explanation suggests 29er, but still, opinions welcome etc.
  • I just bought a Fuel Ex8 29er and let me tell you, it handles just as well as a 26er with its offset fork. The new Trek 29ers are quick and speedy, great components, and great handling all at good prices. I was stuck with the same dilemma of choosing between the Fuel Ex8 and the Fuel Ex8 29 and going 29er was a great choice. The only reason why I would choose the regular Ex9 is that the green and vlack is sick and the Rockshox reverb seatpost is a nice commodity, but again, it's not that essential. I would go for the 29er!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 29er will be 'more different' to your 456.....

The 26er will give you wheel/tyre commonality making it more conveniant......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd get the 29er.

Wonder on what basis neither are as capable as a 456c though?
  • JMcP92
    I just bought a Fuel Ex8 29er and let me tell you, it handles just as well as a 26er with its offset fork. The new Trek 29ers are quick and speedy, great components, and great handling all at good prices. I was stuck with the same dilemma of choosing between the Fuel Ex8 and the Fuel Ex8 29 and going 29er was a great choice. The only reason why I would choose the regular Ex9 is that the green and vlack is sick and the Rockshox reverb seatpost is a nice commodity, but again, it's not that essential. I would go for the 29er!

Certainly good to hear, makes me consider it all the more, think I can see where I'll likely be going but all the same, good to ask.
    njee20 wrote:

I'd be inclined to say more capable in many situations (but far from all), usual story, different typres of bikes, better of different types of things etc.
    456 is very capable, I do everything on it and love it, but wouldn't mind switching it up a little :)
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    lawman wrote:

!!!!Macho hardtail rider alert!!!!
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd get the 29er.

Cos he owns one :lol:
  • njee20
    What, me? I own a 26" Top Fuel, which is a pretty different bike to a 29er Fuel Ex...?
  • JMcP92
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd get the 29er.

Cos he owns one :lol:

My baby :)

imag0358i.jpg

...at least my first one :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:
    What, me? I own a 26" Top Fuel, which is a pretty different bike to a 29er Fuel Ex...?

And so does lawman i believe :)
  • njee20
    Yes he's got a 456C, I don't have either, so I can be objective and say that neither is any less capable than the 456!
  • lawman
    I do indeed own one :D t'is a great bike and it can be setup as a super capable bike. A more XC orientated FS isn't going to descend as well IMO. Infact I'd go so far to say before I installed the Anglesey on the HD, the 456 was more confidence inspiring. A few tweaks to the OP's setup, chunkier tyres, chain guide, dropper and thru axle forks and it would be walk all over a fuel EX. Just my opinion of course, I seem to remember in one of the OP's other threads he felt the bike was out of its depth, you'd have to go a bloody long way to do that IMO, by which time a fuel EC would likely be in pieces.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Xc oriented? With both bikes sagged, the fuel is slacker than the 456.
  • JMcP92
    lawman wrote:
    he felt the bike was out of its depth

Throwing it down a downhill course against friends on a Session 9.9, Transition TR450 and Orange 224, comparatively slow, but even at my own pace a bit out of it's depth.
    Willing to admit, this is on me too being out of my depth, but something like a Fuel may not be perfect but in such situations would be a lot more confidence inspiring than the back out kicking about over rock gardens etc. on the 456. Again, would be more confident if I had more DH skills, certainly, but as it is, singletrack and such like are my forte, and I wish to stick with them :)
  • JMcP92 wrote:

mounting camping holidays and all that kind of stuff.

so what's involved in a mounting holiday?? 8)
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 wrote:

mounting camping holidays and all that kind of stuff.

so what's involved in a mounting holiday?? 8)

Well, inarguably not my original intent to write that, but it does sound quite good fun...given the right company, of course
  • lawman
    If you wanna learn how to handle a bike, stick with the hardtail. Some bigger tyres will help no end as skinny little mud tyres like you have fitted will be no good when the pace starts to pick up DH. Having ridden both the Fuel EX and owning a 456, I'd say with the right kit the 456 is more capable of sticking with the DH boys than the trek for sure. If you're not feeling to confident a skills course will be much more beneficial than a new bike that artificially makes you better. Riding FS bikes you simply won't learn as much as when on a hardtail as the offer more margin or error. A tyre change to say something like hans Dampfs or high rollers/minions ad you'll notice a big difference.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My 456 is one of the most confidence inspiring and all round able bikes i've ever owned. Can just throw it at anything, especially with 35mm forks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    lawman wrote:
    Having ridden both the Fuel EX and owning a 456, I'd say with the right kit the 456 is more capable of sticking with the DH boys than the trek for sure.

Very true. Ridden both and on a gnarley track I would take the 456 any time. I even did a season downhill racing on my 456SS with some success
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you wanna learn how to handle a bike, stick with the hardtail.

Nah - go fully rigid ;-)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Better still ride a unicycle.
  • JMcP92
    New challenge, open to anyone with access to one, and balls:

Penny Farthing down Fort William :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    So when I bought my last MTB 29ers were something odd people with scraggly beards went on about, roll on a few years and every beggar has one, how come they are seen as being so much quicker? They look more cumbersome than a 26 to me. Interested in the speed difference, I need all the extra speed I can get to be fair...
  • njee20
    I'd say with the right kit the 456 is more capable of sticking with the DH boys than the trek for sure.

How so? Build a Fuel and a 456 up with exactly the same kit, what makes the 456 better? I can't see that 5" of travel would actually be a hindrance when riding DH? Serious question.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    lawman wrote:
    I do indeed own one :D t'is a great bike and it can be setup as a super capable bike. A more XC orientated FS isn't going to descend as well IMO.

29er or 26er?

Its all very subjective... but having ridden 29er FS for a year or 2 now I find them to be superb all round machines, with 120/100 travel (I guess you could describe that as XC orientated) they seem to cope with everything I can throw at them, up & down - hugely impressed.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer