Scott Contessa CR1 Team sizing opinion

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,934
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

decided not to pop this in the Cr1 SL thread as it technically isn't......

I would really like to get one of these:
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames-c6/road-frames-c112/scott-contessa-cr1-team-hmf-ladies-road-frame-set-2012-p194665

As a surprise present for my gf - build it up, fit wheels etc beforehand of course.

She is 5ft 7.5" and rides a Trek 1000 52cm (Mens frame), which she says she finds a little bit cramped, and also a 54cm 2010 (again mens frame) Specialized Tri Cross sport, that seems to fit her nicely - handlebars on this are slightly higher than the saddle - she does have all the spacers in use and the stem flipped.
Top tube on this measures at 54.5 which seems to be identical to the 54cm Contessa.

I mailed Westbrook, and they have come back to say that the Scott is a larger bike than the Trek, and he recommends a 52.
I was thinking more the 54 route myself, but I need to decide and fairly fast!

If I compare the 54's, I assume the tangible differences would be Headtube angle and seattube angle?

The Spesh is 73.5 for the teat tube for the and 71.5 for the headtube.
The Scott is 74.0 for the seat tube and 73.0 for the headtube.

I'm not that good with frame geometry, but it would appear that the Scott's headtube is more laid back that the Spesh's and the net result being the bars would be marginally closer?

What do the masses think?

Really appreciate peoples input.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    52"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My son is 5'6" and is riding a 52 CR SL which I think fits him pretty well (with a 100mm stem). He says he feels a bit stretched even. That said, I was torn whether to get him the 54 based upon Scott's sizing charts in case he grows a bit more. But, actually, I'm happy with my choice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    BTW - if you want me to take some real-life measurements, just let me know
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    52"

That's a hell of a big bike.....
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    52"

That's a hell of a big bike.....

Lol, thankyou gents!

So the tide is turning towards the 52cm one.

Any idea why the 54 spesh fits her so well, is it due to the design of the Tri Cross being significantly different to a normal road bike?

I'll go and take another look at your pictures on tuther thread MRS.

One other thing - it professes to be a 'Womens bike' but all the dimensions seem to be identical to the SL - Am I missing something?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    Women's bikes tend to come is pastel shades and have ladies' bits saddles. Sometimes have shorter stems too. I think that's really the key differences these days on serious bikes.
  • daniel_b
    Cheers chaps, have gone for the 52, thinking of pairing them up with a pair of white RS30's from Ribble for £125.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18