Nettles & Ticks

jasonjacques
jasonjacques Posts: 8
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I'm sure some of you more seasoned riders have all the tips and tricks to help with stinging nettles and ticks. With bridleways and other paths I'm riding on at the moment being quite overgrown my legs are really getting stung to s**t. I'm loving the rides but not the nettle pain. Any ideas on what to put on to help? Secondly I've also found 4 ticks in the last week and wandered if there is anything I could do to stop them. Thanks y'all
HAPPY TRAILS!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im a slim person with reasonably hairy legs I don't get stung very often at all im guess the stings get caught on the hairs not the skin.

as for the ticks there sprays and stuff similar

if not you could always wear under armour
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Cant say that I have every been bitten by a tick in Dorset in my 30 years of living there (and we have sheep too). Nettles I have found that I have built up a natural resistance to them or I just don't care that much. You try a barrier cream on you legs that might stop the worst.
  • Nettles I just put up with. I wear my 661 veggie shins if I run through trails that have thorn bushes.
    Never had problems with ticks, but I would just rub some repellent on my legs before each ride or get them after each ride with tweezers.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Anonymous
    I have a few scars and cuts on shins and lower leg due to thorns and various other branches, roots etc. usually I don't tend to notice them all that much if there worse then normal I wash them with water and maybe call it a day depending on the how bad they are and how likely they are to get infected. if im going somewhere which I know is overgrown and thorny and full of that kind of stuff ill take a spare bottle of water for cleaning wounds and maybe some plasters and anti septic cream stuff.

if I have a terrible accident I can always call the emergency services (:
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Frontline do stuff for ticks see here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 4661,d.d2k
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What if it gets infected? Your leg might fall off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pah legs are for sissies. One is more than enough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Question is why are you riding through nettles anyway? There must be other routes you can use, riding through overgrown nettley paths doesn't sound like much fun.
  • OTB into nettles last night, stings like buggery

IMG_20130607_202124_zps14cd96f0.jpg
  • cooldad
    Have you considered amputation.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    That's vile mate. Find some new trails.
  • cooldad
    That's vile mate. Find some new legs.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Ah they'll buff out, get some T-cut on them.
  • Anonymous
    OTB into nettles last night, stings like buggery

IMG_20130607_202124_zps14cd96f0.jpg

I've done that before if I was you I'd get my arse down the chemist and get some cream for the them stings they look real nasty
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Get one of those bikes with skinny wheels and curly handlebars, then there will be no stingers and it's socially acceptable to shave and rub cream on your legs, and whine about everything.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i just wear footy socks up to the knee to avoid any cuts or nettles.

I didn't used to until i saw a lad on a full sus bike going through the local woods wearing some, must have had shin guards under them.

also avoids getting hit in the shins with the pedals as that is something to worry about more than thorn bushes or nettles
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Thats one serious reaction to nettles, Id get a road bike
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Tried something like these? i wear them on most rides seem to work for me

nike-shin-sleeve-black.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Look a bit gay to me. MTFU is the only advice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nettle stings affect different people differently, I feel a slight tingle but get back from rides with nothing obvious, odd bramble scratch, people I've ridden the same route with come back with red blotchy legs and enough bloody scrapes that they look like they've been assaulted by a whole litter of kittens sharpening their claws!

Ticks - in the UK - more chance on the lottery!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
    Get yourself some Jungle Formula Insect repellent! (other brands are available) they do an normal and an extra strength version....this time of year i wont ride without it...i hate bleeding mozzies sucking my blood!

There are definitely Ticks up in the Notts forests, i've seen most in Sherwood forrest area because of the Sheep and cattle they've introduced in recent years....found several of the little blighters sucking on my dog! mainly live in the long grass and longer undergrowth.
    i had something bite me last year while i was riding through the forrest, it left a hole approx. 2mm dia in the side of my leg up from my ankle....never felt it or saw it at the time just the blood running dow my leg when i stopped for a breather!
    the following day the lump under the hole was like half an egg size and bloody painfull....f*ck knows what took a liking to my blood but i always use the Jungle Formula now and "touch wood" only get nettled now lol
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boots 50% DEET insect repellant is brilliant, fairly cheap as well, just don't spray on synthetic materials as it dissolves them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Step83 wrote:

Shin pads for nettles? Really? They must be tough in your neck of the woods. Maybe I am hard/lucky/stupid but the faster I pedal, the less I feel stings.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Step83 wrote:

Shin pads for nettles? Really? They must be tough in your neck of the woods. Maybe I am hard/lucky/stupid but the faster I pedal, the less I feel stings.

They are just the sleeves not the actual pads ;)
  • Thanks for all the replys, comments etc. I'm pleased to announce that I have not found any more ticks!!! As for the nettles! It's the same old story, but I do think I'm starting to get used to them. Like the idea of footy socks! Thanks all