Carrera Kraken Fork replacement advice

louisjg93
louisjg93 Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Im in need on replacing my forks on my 08 Carrera Kraken , I'm pretty clueless with this sorta thing I don't even know what forks would fit which bikes . I have a budget of 100£ anyone got any advice on picking forks or can suggest some ? Thanks :mrgreen:

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You've just missed a blinding deal at On One (Rockshox Recon Silver Solo Airs for £110 in white) - they've just sold out, but still have black ones for £150.
  • louisjg93
    Where would be the best place to buy them from ?
  • louisjg93
    Oh I see on one duh
  • louisjg93
    Do you know of any but below 100£?
  • Kowalski675
    Unless you're looking at used forks anything below £100 will be pretty pants (the RRP for those Recons they were selling at £110 is £300, so they were a bonkers deal). I'm on a 2007 Kraken, so I think you'll have the same Suntour XCR fork as me, which is basic, but by no means the worst out there - mine's got me round the red route at Gisburn (with some black sections) without hurting myself or damaging the fork, and I have zero riding talent, lol.
  • louisjg93
    Okay so you think I should go for the ones you suggested for £140? What are they like in comparison to the sun tour xcr forks then? Is the difference noticeable ? Thanks for your help :)
  • louisjg93
    If I was to go for a rigid fork , which would be best , and how do I know if there compatible with my kraken ? And what would be the difference between carbon and non carbon rigid forks cause I was looking at carbon ones and there £100 pound more ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your Kraken will need a straight 1 1/8" steerer (tapered can be made to fit but is a pain), 180mm or longer, 80 to 120mm travel.

Rigid forks, erm carbon is made from carbon fibre, which is more expensive (but lighter and helps absorb some of the buzz), others can be aluminium or steel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • louisjg93
    Thankyou !
  • louisjg93
    Any advice on stores/websites which provide a wide selection of forks?
  • Kowalski675
    louisjg93 wrote:
    Okay so you think I should go for the ones you suggested for £140?

A good question, but not one that's easy to answer. At £110 the white Recons were an absolute giveaway (I couldn't decide whether to buy a pair, and procrastinated too long until they were sold out), but at £150 for the same fork in black I'd be erring towards spending a bit more on the better Reba. The Recon is definitely better than the XCR (and usefully lighter) as it's an air fork with proper damping and rebound adjustment, but I haven't ridden on one, so can't tell you whether the difference is night and day or less marked. I had a good bounce on a set of the Recon Solo Air on a Cube in my local shop and they felt impressive for a budget fork - smooth and plush, but that's hardly a comprehensive test, lol.

A lot depends on what you want to use the bike for, where you want to ride it and why you're replacing the fork (is yours knackered, or has your riding found the fork's limits?). For towpaths, bridle paths, blue routes etc the XCR is fine (and the Recon Solver Solo Air would be more than good enough. On Gisburn's rocky and testing red route (with some black sections thrown in) my XCR was definitely finding its limits, but then I was finding mine too - if you'd put a decent rider on my bike then they could still have gone round there a lot faster and more controlled than I could with a much more expensive fork.
  • Sgray
    Sgray Posts: 79
    I brought a set of the Recon Silvers White (£110) from on-one to replace the Manituo Axels on my 2005 Marlin. The difference between the forks, was as different as riding an escalator compared to falling down the stairs. So I think if you can get the Recons in black for £140, go for it.