MTB trainers

Ben_morris
Ben_morris Posts: 61
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am Looking to buy some trainers for flat pedals, which do you recommend from experience?

ben

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Sombrio from Chainreaction. Sizing is pretty much correct so just pick whatever suits your taste and budget.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you're on a budget then Sports Direct have loads of cheap skate shoes. I got some black No Fear ones for £20 (reduced from £49.99 RRP supposedly), which have served me well so far - stiffish sole for pedalling, but comfy for walking and grippy flat rubber sole. Combined with my new pedals (Wellgo B-54) the grip's as grippy as a grippy thing - if you want to reposition your foot you have to lift it off the pedal, whereas I was sliding all over on my old pedals.
  • Ben_morris
    So basically any good skate shoe is as good as the five tens and Shimano ones for grip levels?

Im currently just using some old columbia walking trainers, i didnt no if its was my style of riding, trainers or pedals why my feet move around so much. Proberly a bit of everything.

Ben
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Walking boots/shoes tend to be rubbish for pedals because the sole is designed to be hard-wearing and grip on looser surfaces. Skate shoes will be better (not as good as a good bike-specific shoes, but pretty good), the only problem can be that the shoes aren't as stiff in the sole and can be uncomfortable over longer periods.
  • Kowalski675
    Ben_morris wrote:
    So basically any good skate shoe is as good as the five tens and Shimano ones for grip levels?

Probably not (I've not worn specific biking flat shoes, but all reports say that the Five Ten soles are incredibly grippy rubber), but for £20 (and in conjunction with my new very grippy - and rather fine looking - pedals) they're certainly good enough for me for now. The pedals have made a massive difference, I was slipping all over on the pinless original Wellgo cheapies. If I'd seen the discounted Sombrios on Chain Reaction before I went to Sports Direct I may have stretched to the £45 for those instead though. As Warpcow says, a lot of the cheaper skate shoes (Airwalks in particular) had very flexy soles, but the No Fear ones I got are noticably stiffer soled (but not as stiff as something like a Five Ten Impact 2).
  • Ben_morris
    I do like the five tens, are they worth the £70+ quid tho?

I might nip over to local sports direct and see what the have in.

Thanks for your help!

Ben.
  • Kowalski675
    Ben_morris wrote:
    I do like the five tens, are they worth the £70+ quid tho?

I can't answer that unfortunately, I've not owned a pair.

These are the ones I got from Sports Direct:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-cor ... oes-242020

For that price they're practically disposable (but they seem well made and look like they'll last). I just feel a bit of a tit with "No Fear" emblazoned across my shoes when I can't ride for sh*t, lol...
  • Ben_morris
    Lol, we could start a No Fear club for bikers who have fear.

What are they like in the wet?

Ben.
  • Kowalski675
    Ben_morris wrote:

Ben.

Back in the nineties I often used to wear No Fear t shirts under my leathers, but that was ok 'cos my riding backed up the logo, lol, but on a mountain bike I should have ones that say "No Talent", lol.

Can't say how they perform in the wet, I've only ridden in dry weather. I imagine they'd still grip though, those grub screw pedal pins really dig in and grip.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Ben_morris wrote:

Ben.
    Lol, a mate took a photo of me refusing a rather nasty (in my head!) drop at the FoD, I have a No Fear full face helmet and a No Fear jersey on in the picture... :oops:

I recently bought my first pair of proper flats (DMR V12) having used SPD's for years, been using an old pair of Vans and they work a treat for grip but for longer rides I prefer SPD's with good stiff soled shoes.

If your pedals are good, with good pins, the wet won't make any difference to your grip levels, your feet will just get cold... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Skate shoes will provide adequate grip. In my experience, five tens provide more grip and are certainly longer lasting. My vans fell apart after three months on the bike and my five tens are tatty looking, but structurally sound and holding up nicely after eighteen months of abuse. Pricey, but very worth it IMO. You mileage may vary etc etc depending on brand of skate shoes, but most of mates who switched to five tens have said they won't go back.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • i got some airwalks from sportsdirect and if im honest they were pap. the sole was nowhere near rigid enough and after riding a decent trial my feet were killing.

i have since bought a couple of pairs of DC shoes which are spot on and i think i only paid about £35 a pair.
  • Kowalski675
    i got some airwalks from sportsdirect and if im honest they were pap. the sole was nowhere near rigid enough and after riding a decent trial my feet were killing.

i have since bought a couple of pairs of DC shoes which are spot on and i think i only paid about £35 a pair.

Most of the Airwalks did seem very soft soled. The main reason I bought the No Fear ones was their much stiffer sole. I wore them for 15 miles round Gisburn Forest trail centre and my feet were as comfy when I'd finished as they were when I started (but my thigh muscles were knackered, lol).
  • went to gisburn the other week for the first time, really enjoyed it even though i did come off on the hully gully!
  • Kowalski675
    went to gisburn the other week for the first time, really enjoyed it even though i did come off on the hully gully!

It was the first time there for me too (Sunday before last). Lovely weather, great trails, had a really good day. We got to the bottom of Hully Gully grinning like idiots, pedalled back up the red route alongside it and did the Gully again. It's bonkers - proper giggle (bit rough on my Kraken though, lol). I'm going again tomorrow.
  • Ben_morris
    Hi,
    PaulBox wrote:
    Ben_morris wrote:

Ben.
    Lol, a mate took a photo of me refusing a rather nasty (in my head!) drop at the FoD, I have a No Fear full face helmet and a No Fear jersey on in the picture... :oops:

I recently bought my first pair of proper flats (DMR V12) having used SPD's for years, been using an old pair of Vans and they work a treat for grip but for longer rides I prefer SPD's with good stiff soled shoes.

If your pedals are good, with good pins, the wet won't make any difference to your grip levels, your feet will just get cold... :wink:

Think we should have a " NO FEAR " picture thread! Lol.

Ive just collect my new bike, with the new pedals with the pins. my feet didnt move even with my old trainers on so some MTB related foot wear my feet will be like glue.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have black and yellow Dunlop trainers which were a £10 from sports direct flat sole and comfortable enough.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I wear Adidas superstars and they are pretty grippy...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • bigdrew1
    bigdrew1 Posts: 353
    How do those no fear shoes come up size wise? Will the size 10 fit my size 10 feet?
  • Kowalski675
    bigdrew1 wrote:
    How do those no fear shoes come up size wise? Will the size 10 fit my size 10 feet?

I'm an 8, but went for the 8.5. Both fitted, but the 8.5 felt a bit better, especially with the short motorcycle socks I wear with them (they have a padded sole, so are a bit thicker than a normal thin trainer sock).

Did another 15 miles round Gisburn in mine yesterday, still no complaints.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    also own grey and yellow nike running trainers

which are flat sole but with plenty of grip very comfortable fit nicely did cost £45 thou ):
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Used to ride in my old DC shoes - worked fine with an OK set of pedals but were only average on slightly less good pedals. Switched to pair of 5:10's and they worked great with any halfway decent pedal - wearing well, solid support and less pain on a long term ride plus the structure is better to protect the toes from unwanted attention of branches and stumps.

The contact point with the bike is pretty important, I'd spend money on shoes and pedals, grips and gloves and the saddle over any changes to any other components.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Just grabbed a pair of the no fear. I'm a 9.5 and they fitted spot on. Decent shoes.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    I'm a trendsetter, lol. Wore mine again today, still doing the job for me, even on Stainburn's rocky trails. I looked at some Five tens while I was in Stif this afternoon, and they do seem quality, but they should be for five times the price, I guess. There's a test of trail shoes in this month's What Mountain Bike.
  • Ben_morris
    I havent bought any yet, still wearing my outdoor/running trainers. With my new pedals my feet seem fairly planted at the mo.

I did pop in and look at the 'No Fear' trainers, good for the price but no bought no yet.