stags head vets race

mamba80
mamba80 Posts: 5,032
edited June 2013 in Amateur race
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Road-Race

^this - they need more entries - a great course fast with climb :)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sounds great - unfortunately, it clashes with an event my lad is riding, otherwise, I'd be there. Maybe next year ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Might try to get some interest in this from my club, we have a strong group of vets that fluctuate between 2nd and 3rd cat (plus a very poor 4th cat who can't climb!)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Are you a vet the year you turn 40? I thought you were but my non race licence came through suggesting I'm still a master... And I guess 39yr old cat 2 women are out? or not... We have baby sitters in devon...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    *apparently* you are eligible to ride vets in your 40th year.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Imposter wrote:
    *apparently* you are eligible to ride vets in your 40th year.

That's what I always understood, but I don't seem to be considered one, I'm wondering if it's the 40th licence year running from Dec 1, so my december b'day rules me out.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    Yes you are, I was a vet last season and turned 40 in the November. I had the same query when my licence turned up. Fancy giving it a go do you? Looks like me and at least two club mates are going to enter. Hopefully we'll get another two or three as it's the Ras that weekend so no local racing for those not riding in that. No online entry which is a bit of a pain, I'll have to dust off the cheque book if I can find it :shock:
  • Pross
    Mamba, can you let me know what the course is (and how tough the climb is!).
  • Pross
    Thanks Frosty - I think the elevation data may be faulty as the lowest point is showing as something like 159 feet below sea level :lol: Looks like at least 4 of us from my club are entering and hopefully we'll get two others.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Long clm into s molton is the one to watch
    Finish at top of the steep clm
    Only 15 in so far, weird !
    Email org to let him know entry in post, or may b cancelled :(
  • Pross
    OK. Looks like it will be s Welsh invasion as I think a few Cwmcarn riders have entered. Hop it goes ahead as nice to see a 3/4 vets race.
  • Pross
    I'm trying to pursuade another club member to enter unfortunately he thinks he's going to be away but if not I'm hoping I can talk him into entering on the line. It will be a familiar name to many if he does ride :wink:
  • Pross
    Got the start sheet for this today. 46 entrants with a fair few making the trip over the border. I know of a couple of others coming down to enter on the line so it should be a decent size bunch.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Winny chickened out ? lol Welshies on tour trying to get easy points? lol
  • Pross
    Yeah, he thought it would be a bit too tough :lol: No, he is in Belgium so couldn't ride it. He's doing my handicap on 9 July though so feel sorry for the other 3rd cats in that even if he hasn't raced for a few years.

I'n not looking forward to the hills in this it's got to be said. I've carefully stuck to flat races ever since I started racing again and have a hard enough time on those :oops:
  • Pross
    Well that was one very tough circuit - no warm up left me struggling in the neutralised zone but so was everyone else, it was strung out and only slowed down when the flag dropped for the proper start! :shock: Got dropped first time up the Stags Head climb and wasn't the first to go. Cracking solo ride for most of the race by the winner who went on the first lap and just kept increasing his lead. The 'bunch' at the finish was only about 12 - 15 riders, never seen a race get so shredded! My club mate got 4th though so not a wasted trip - think I need to get fitter for next time though.