Cycling Club and Facebook

make mine a triple
make mine a triple Posts: 36
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
Hello all,

I have organized to join a road cycling club, the organizer tells me that most rides and info are on a closed facebook group. This makes me shudder as i really cannot be arsed with joining facebook TBH as i find FB a bit insidious. Is there a way of joining up in such a low profile manner to prevent all and sundry bombarding you with friend requests, banal information about their cats bowel movements etc etc...?
I assume if you use a 'clean' hotmail account it wont alert
people that you have joined the cult of FB

I might seem like a luddite to some of you but i am not, (I am using the internet to post this after all!!)

i just want to avoid all of this....
:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNIyyGxW4GQ

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Hello all,

I have organized to join a road cycling club, the organizer tells me that most rides and info are on a closed facebook group. This makes me shudder as i really cannot be arsed with joining facebook TBH as i find FB a bit insidious. Is there a way of joining up in such a low profile manner to prevent all and sundry bombarding you with friend requests, banal information about their cats bowel movements etc etc...?
    I assume if you use a 'clean' hotmail account it wont alert
    people that you have joined the cult of FB

I might seem like a luddite to some of you but i am not, (I am using the internet to post this after all!!)

i just want to avoid all of this....
    :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNIyyGxW4GQ

Technically against the rules but you could call yourself another name, use a clean account and only use it for the cycle club, tbh it does make life nice and easy having all your sports & social events all on one page.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Ah, Facebook.

I recently de-activated my account following a late night post which was somewhat influenced by the following factors (in no order): my recent separation from my wife, my sense of loneliness and despair, and most of a bottle of gin.

Be warned.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Set up an account, don't put any personal details in (school, work, parents, kids). Set privacy so only your club mates can view your page.

FB will create a FB email address for you, and you could choose to use that for club activity. I never use mine, so I don't know if it's a spam magnet.

Presumably your club will link FB to Strava so you that you can follow each other and comment on rides, times etc. Resist all sugestions from FB that you make friends with others, even if it's people you've known for years.After a couple of months you get used to ignoring it