Small buckle in rear wheel

Woggatheboy
Woggatheboy Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I'm pretty new to cycling and have picked up a small buckle in my rear wheel. I took it to a local workshop to get fixed and he had a look at it and put a new rear brake on it which apparently I needed. On going to collect it he said he'd done the best he can with the wheel and it's as straight as it'll get. On leaving there is still a small buckle in it which is noticeable when riding. Will it be that I need a new wheel or is it more the case that somewhere else may be able to straighten it back out.

It doesn't seem to be far out of true but as I know next to nothing about the maintenance of these things I was just after some advice.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Had same issue with front wheel when crashing and glancing off a kerb, the dent is small but virtually impossible to remove and it rubs whenever i put the brakes on, generating a large knocking vibration that reduces braking efficiency and control. I replaced the rim and put it down to experience.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Is the rim actually dented so that a small portion is wider than it should be, or is a section of the rim out-of-true?

With a 'dent' in the rim, trying to 'fix the dent' can weaken the rim metal and possibly cause it to break at some point. So a professional repair person might not want to 'fix it', only to have it fail later and possibly cause injury.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    If the rim is buckled then it's standard procedure to replace it. From him getting it as true as possible but it still being noticeable, I'd be looking at a new rim...
  • I have just been to have a look at it and can't find any dents or imperfections. As it turns it just contacts the brake pads briefly. When you ride it you can feel like a twitch through the back wheel.

It has got shimano R500 wheels on it. There are some R501s on ribble at what seems a good price. I assume these are just a newer model. I may have to look at them, bit of a body blow after just spending over £100 on it for clipless pedals and shoes after listening to all the hype on here.

Need to stop reading the forum!
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    bit of a body blow after just spending over £100 on it for clipless pedals and shoes after listening to all the hype on here.

Need to stop reading the forum!

You been reading my thread on clipless pedals Wogga? Out of interest - which pedals you gone for and how you getting on with them - or have you not been able to try them yet with the wheel issue?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • I don't really know what they are. I'm a salesmans dream, I think he said something about a look keyo. Does that sound right. I bought some north wave shoes because I've got hobbit feet and they seemed the widest fit. I was loving them until I hit a large pothole nearly splitting my barse and buckling my wheel. That's not counting the near death experience I had on the driveway falling head first towards the wife's passenger window while I wondered why I couldn't remove my foot from the clip. Luckily I hadn't clipped my hand onto the handlebars and I used this to stop me instead.

They definitely make a huge difference and I'd say upto nearly a couple of miles per hour for me and less fatigue and cramping in my feet. Certainly worth investing in for me. I'm predominantly a commuter but have extended it to a few leisure rides.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    You don't know what they are? Did they not come in a box? :) Look Keo.....
  • I've told you I'm a salesmans dream. I went in to ask about them and he fitted them for me and kicked me out with some nice shiny shoes. I don't dispute they may have been boxed but the box I didn't see. They say wellgo on the front of them if that means anything. I'm pretty convinced he said look Leo when he was telling me about them.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If a brake pad touches the wheel when not actually braking, then maybe just adjust the pads so they are a little further from the wheel on both sides.
    There isn't any need for the pads to be super near to the rims...

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Rims can deform even without showing dents... If they get knocked, the structure bends and it won't be truable keeping the tensions homogeneous...
    It is a new rim and in your case probably a new wheel, as replacement rims for your wheels might not be available/viable
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    DSORBY2 wrote:
    some people cant afford new wheels everytime there is a small buckle, try pushing it out by tightening the spokes :)

Dented rims can be straightened and sanded but bent rims can't be brought back... you can get the wheel sort of true, but the tensions will be so screwed that the wheel will go back being bent in no time. A waste of time... hence the rationale of getting wheels offering replacement rims at a reasonable cost
    left the forum March 2023