Wiggins slates Shimano di2

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited June 2013 in Pro race
In cyclesport (apparently)... At a Pinarello Launch in the middle of the Giro before Wiggins ducked out, he apologised for chucking his bike in the Trentino and said "It's not the bike, it's Shimano i'm mad at. If you're going to buy one of these, don't buy it with the electronic group from Shimano, buy the Campag one"

Made me smile :)

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ^ Doesn't that cause plaque build-up?
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    If he did say that I'm very surprised it hasn't surfaced a lot sooner. He is fast becoming the Luis Suarez of cycling (albeit not going around biting people and being racially abusive).

Re pushing his bike away after the mechanical, I'm surprised with his grumpy temperament he didn't give it a full on Bjarne Riis-esqe style discus throw.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • mfin
    Supposedly in this month's Cyclesport.

I bet Shimano were really pleased with him :)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Ride hard wrote:
    If he did say that I'm very surprised it hasn't surfaced a lot sooner. He is fast becoming the Luis Suarez of cycling (albeit not going around biting people and being racially abusive).

Re pushing his bike away after the mechanical, I'm surprised with his grumpy temperament he didn't give it a full on Bjarne Riis-esqe style discus throw.

It has surfaced from others, though not so, erm, strongly. For example at the end of that Trentino stage, Evans was asked what he thought of Wiggins mechanical, and he said he sympathized as he's been in that position before. He went on to express a concern that the equipment sponsors are pushing new stuff onto teams to use in anger in races before they may be fully tested enough, and that its the riders who suffer in terms of performance and results.
  • mfin
    Fairdoos, he did a brilliant job of parking his bike against the wall though, now that is skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6YKC_hDg2Zg
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The Luis Suarez of cycling that hasn't actually done anything similar to what Luis Suarez has fastly becoming known for doing? heh.... :P
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    rebs wrote:
    The Luis Suarez of cycling that hasn't actually done anything similar to what Luis Suarez has fastly becoming known for doing? heh.... :P

Haa. True.

I meant it more in the sense that he ruffles feathers, and seems to polarize opinion.

In terms of Di2, it's interesting hearing the pros quite rightly ask questions about these things that are primarily designed for them.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Richmond Racer
    Ride hard wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Haa. True.

I meant it more in the sense that he ruffles feathers, and seems to polarize opinion.
    In terms of Di2, it's interesting hearing the pros quite rightly ask questions about these things that are primarily designed for them.

Welcome to Wiggins World (and one of the reasons I like the awkward sod) :)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Is it going to be something like this?

http://inrng.com/2013/04/who-will-win-the-giro/
    He’s been fifth in the Volta a Catalunya and fifth in the Giro del Trentino although technical problems disrupted this and as a result he will be on traditional mechanical gears for the Giro and not electronic gears.

Seem to remember people going on and on about this and then he used Di2 at the Giro anyway.
  • mfin
    Ride hard wrote:

I wouldn't say that, the pros get to use them first but really they're designed so that they can sell thousands and thousands of them. Lucky for Shimano not many people have much taste, cos most of their stuff looks guff style-wise, sort of equivalent to a gold chained handbag.
  • mfin

Me too, stuff his cycling aside, and the bloke is a good character with an entertaining dry sense of humour!
  • Richmond Racer
    mfin wrote:

Me too, stuff his cycling aside, and the bloke is a good character with an entertaining dry sense of humour!

Yeah, particularly like it when he deliberately winds up the prissy mock-outraged lot. I'd seriously like to go for a V&T or 10 with him sometime
  • mfin
    Yeah, particularly like it when he deliberately winds up the prissy mock-outraged lot. I'd seriously like to go for a V&T or 10 with him sometime

Yeah, I reckon he'd be one of the best to go out for a skinfull with, he's genuinely quite funny, most of the pros are dull as dishwater as people in comparison.

Imagine going for a drink with EBH and Contador, Id put my drink down and say Im off to the loo then just p1ss off home and watch some paint dry.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    mfin wrote:

How so?

If a normal person speaks his mind or uses profanities etc he gets called obnoxious or arrogant etc.

If Wiggins does it he suddenly has personality and is a hero?

Erm...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    mfin wrote:

Yeah, I reckon he'd be one of the best to go out for a skinfull with, he's genuinely quite funny, most of the pros are dull as dishwater as people in comparison.

Imagine going for a drink with EBH and Contador, Id put my drink down and say Im off to the loo then just p1ss off home and watch some paint dry.

Well you probably wouldnt be able to hold a conversation with the 2 unless you are multilingual anyway. Bertie dont speak English does he?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:

How so?

If a normal person speaks his mind or uses profanities etc he gets called obnoxious or arrogant etc.

Erm...

It's all in the delivery, plus the fact that he's won the TdF and is multiple Olympic champion means his comments carry weight.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Well you probably wouldnt be able to hold a conversation with the 2 unless you are multilingual anyway. Bertie dont speak English does he?

And you could only talk to EBH about stuff he liked.
  • mfin
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:

How so?

Well, mainly because 'the bloke is a good character with an entertaining dry sense of humour'.

It's alright though, we don't all have to like him, and the world might be a lot better for some people if everyone on the planet was an uncolourful one dimensional dullard, not for me though.

(I couldn't care less about his cycling, but saying that about Shimano di2 in such short terms made me laugh)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    How so?
    Erm...
    This.
    It's all in the delivery
    Yes, and BW’s manner and delivery can be disrespectful, arrogant and uncouth.
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I'd seriously like to go for a V&T or 10 with him sometime
    Yeah, I reckon he'd be one of the best to go out for a skinfull with, he's genuinely quite funny
    I don’t know whether I’d fancy going for a V&T with BW, not knowing what a V&T is (Velocity and Time, a euphemism?), but if I went out for a drink with him, halfway down the first glass I’d have had enough. He’d likely either want to talk about how great he thinks he is, or want to mock somebody/something using gutter language.

I respect his track and TT performances, and have sympathy if some of his behaviour has to do with his father, but that's about it.
  • mfin
    knedlicky wrote:
    ...but if I went out for a drink with him, halfway down the first glass I’d have had enough. He’d likely either want to talk about how great he thinks he is, or want to mock somebody/something using gutter language.

Probably best you did leave halfway through your first drink, you wouldn't want to get done on the way home for being drunk in charge of a victorian time machine.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    V&T = Vodka and Tonic

Is this the same group-san that Cav was complaining about in the Giro?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    knedlicky wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    How so?
    Erm...
    This.
    It's all in the delivery
    Yes, and BW’s manner and delivery can be disrespectful, arrogant and uncouth.
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I'd seriously like to go for a V&T or 10 with him sometime
    Yeah, I reckon he'd be one of the best to go out for a skinfull with, he's genuinely quite funny
    I don’t know whether I’d fancy going for a V&T with BW, not knowing what a V&T is (Velocity and Time, a euphemism?), but if I went out for a drink with him, halfway down the first glass I’d have had enough. He’d likely either want to talk about how great he thinks he is, or want to mock somebody/something using gutter language.

I respect his track and TT performances, and have sympathy if some of his behaviour has to do with his father, but that's about it.

He never came across as a big head as far as I can see. As for him swearing at stupid journalists, I can sympathise with him. If all they can come up with is questions like "are you using PEDs" because he is leading the Tour, I would swear at people like that. Imagine training hard all your cycling career and eventually be on the brink of a great victory, and all you get is answer questions about doping?
    Seems like an ordinary bloke to me.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    meursault wrote:
    V&T = Vodka and Tonic

Is this the same group-san that Cav was complaining about in the Giro?
    OPQS use SRAM, the only ones without an electronic set (At the moment) Not heard any complaints about the Record EPS yet though.

Classic Wiggins with regards to the Di2, not sure you can compare him to Suarez the racist cannibal though!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    If Wiggo really did say that then i think they should ban him for 10 Matches, oh sorry races :D:wink:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura