Cranks Creaking?

Gibbo3771
Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I took my mountain bike out the shed after a good hard ride yesterday, lots of air, couple of falls the usual.

I cycled down to college this morning without noticing anything different, however on the way home, probably because I was going slow and enjoying the sun...everytime I put pressure down on either pedal it makes a weird creaking noise.

At first I thought it was the frame but I have narrowed it down to the cranks or the pedals, not sure which.

It only happens when you put pressure on the pedals, you can stand on them and bounce up and down but soon as you put pressure to pedal it starts doing it, it does not happen when I am spinning or freewheeling.

Could this be due to one of my falls yesterday? I fell off my bike while crossing a burn and it got submerged pretty much all the way, was a pretty deep burn, just under the brake caliper.

I did go home and clean and relube the bike but never touched the cranks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh and another issue, will keep it to one thread.

My rear brake makes a HORRIBLE noise when you use it, no idea how to describe it but it's as if something is on the pad but there is nothing, front one is completely fine and the brakes are only 2 weeks old or so. They are Avid Elixer 1's.

Comments

• Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Gibbo3771 wrote:

I did go home and clean and relube the bike but never touched the cranks.

Any ideas?

Exactly that. You may need to remove and grease BB/ pedal threads too.
    My rear brake makes a HORRIBLE noise when you use it, no idea how to describe it but it's as if something is on the pad but there is nothing, front one is completely fine and the brakes are only 2 weeks old or so. They are Avid Elixer 1's.

Clean them too.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Is it the saddle or seatpost? Sounds funny I know but check these and add smear of grease to the post.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's easy to work out if it's not though. Stand up! It's a process of elimination.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my front brake's made the same ear piercing noise when braking turned out the pads need cleaning a bit 20 mins trying to find something to clean them with dam my shed is messy I used a scrubbing brush thingy
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Check your crank arm bolts are tight. Thats what was causing the awful noise from mine