Rockshox Reverb length question

iskander
iskander Posts: 43
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I want to order a Rockshox Reverb seatpost, but I can't find anywhere if the quoted length includes the travel or not.
For example the 420mm long post with 125mm travel, does it go as long as 545mm or as short as 295mm?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    length includes travel.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • iskander
    Thank you
  • iskander
    If you don't mind, one more question on the subject: I am looking at one which is advertised without "bleedKit and spacer". What spacer is that, and is it necessary?
  • benpinnick
    I think they mean clamp. That's the clamp that limits travel. I'd also get a right handed one of poss and run it upside down on the left.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • iskander
    Sorry, I am not familiar with adjustable travel seat posts. What is the point of that clamp, and why would I want to limit the travel? Is it necessary?
    and also I don't follow about the right-left side issues. I assume they refer to the side that the tube is running along the frame, is that correct? or is it about the remote switch? and what difference does it make, assuming that my other tubes/cables are symmetrical on the frame?
    Thanks
    Dan
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The remote switch - if you put it on top of the bars it's easier to break it if you crash, or if you turn the bike upside down, so people put them on the underside of the bars instead of on top, but the opposite one for that side, if that makes sense.
    They are a bit delicate and expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iskander
    Thanks, that makes sense and is sound advice - I will do so. How about the clamp then? why would you limit the travel?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    personal preference? maybe you like a pre set distance that is shorter than max travel for what ever reason? Just allows you to adapt it more to your needs.

Not a major deal breaker for me so not fussed if it comes with or without.
  • benpinnick
    The clamps pretty pointless yes, I guess if you were racing enduro it might be useful. Maybe.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andyg1966
    andyg1966 Posts: 63
    You'll need a bleed kit to cut down the cable which is very long. If theres not one included (i.e. its an OEM post) then factor in £15 extra for a kit (learned the hard way myself) Retail posts come with the bleed kit.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/rockshox/reverb/complete-kit/

Don't worry about the clamp, not necessary and definitely fit the remote lever on the underside of the bars on the opposite side to what you order.
    Trek Stache 8 29er
    Orange Five Pro 2011
    Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
    Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
    Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/
  • iskander
    Thanks guys, that has been very useful.
  • benpinnick
    Bleed kit is only really needed if you are a bit heavy handed, I've fitted a few without needing to bleed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.