Scott CR1 Pro

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames ... 12-p194664

Missed out on the SL but this is still on sale? Opinions on this frame?

Particularly how much better than my Aluminium Trek 2.1 it would be ;)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The SL is an excellent frame whereas the Pro is a very, very good frame.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Pro looks nicer.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The Pro is the model down from the SL isn't it? HMF rather than HMX carbon... The Comp is the base model...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    The Pro is the model down from the SL isn't it? HMF rather than HMX carbon... The Comp is the base model...

The Comp, Team, Pro, etc are all the same frame, the differences were groupset, finishing kit and paint job. However, only the Pro decaled version is available as a frameset only option.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:

The Comp, Team, Pro, etc are all the same frame, the differences were groupset, finishing kit and paint job. However, only the Pro decaled version is available as a frameset only option.
    So basically it's the same bike in different colours? I'm sure I read somewhere that HMX (which the SL frames are made of) was their top quality carbon and HMF was the next level down...
  • markhewitt1978
    Asprilla wrote:

So basically it's the same bike in different colours? I'm sure I read somewhere that HMX (which the SL frames are made of) was their top quality carbon and HMF was the next level down...

I think he's saying that the Comp, Team and Pro are all trim levels whereas with the SL the frame is better too?
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

I think he's saying that the Comp, Team and Pro are all trim levels whereas with the SL the frame is better too?

This. There are only two frames; the HMX carbon SL and everything else which are HMF. The HMX frameset is about 100g lighter and slightly stiffer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Asprilla wrote:
    This. There are only two frames; the HMX carbon SL and everything else which are HMF. The HMX frameset is about 100g lighter and slightly stiffer.
    And therefore an important consideration when choosing between the two as it will offset the 2 stones of excess fat carried by the average MAMIL who buys these frames :lol:
  • asprilla
    I resent that. I'm one and a quarter stone overweight and not an ounce more.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • markhewitt1978
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    And therefore an important consideration when choosing between the two as it will offset the 2 stones of excess fat carried by the average MAMIL who buys these frames :lol:

2 stones how very dare you!! :shock:

(It's actually 2 stones and 5 pounds :( )
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Asprilla wrote:
    I resent that. I'm one and a quarter stone overweight and not an ounce more.
    Then you're obviously in the elite category of the fat, middle aged men in lycra classification :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'll have you know I've actually LOST weight in the past few months although it seems to depend on which scales I weigh myself on... I now weigh about 77kg whereas I had been pretty much dead on 80kg for years. I don't go to the gym much anymore so I think I'm actually losing upper body muscle...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I was thinking about this this morning. When I started cycling again, I was probably 3-stone overweight and couldn't run 100 yards without being out of puff. I'm now nearer 1 stone overweight and can ride London to Edinburgh in 4 days and ride London to Cambridge at night nearly an hour faster than the next guy. If that's what a flashy bike and Lycra gives me, I'm good :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    How else do you suggest I gain speed? I'm not about to eat less :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Hang on, I have one of these frames and I only weigh 9.5 stone as it is. I can try but it will be tough for me to slim down to 7.5 without cutting my head off.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    Do you need it or could you get a carbon fibre replacement?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    why does the geometry page/sizing say cyclocross?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    According to the guy who runs my LBS it is 90% as good as the SL for half the price.

So I bought one.

Especially as he got me a very nice discount on an end-of-year frameset.

It's ****ing brilliant. The only reason I'm ****ing about on the internet and not riding it now is that I have fractured a bone and am trying to drown my sorrows in drink.
  • markhewitt1978
    itboffin wrote:
    why does the geometry page/sizing say cyclocross?

I wondered about that, I would hope it's just a mistake! The SL and pro frames do look identical apart from the paint scheme.
  • markhewitt1978
    So this frame together with my 105 groupset would give me the equivalent of the Scott CR1 Comp http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... _#features which goes for £1,600

Not quite as nice as those SLs but still nice :)
  • asprilla
    You'd have better than the Comp; that gruppo is mainly tiagra and only has 105 brifters.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • markhewitt1978
    Asprilla wrote:
    You'd have better than the Comp; that gruppo is mainly tiagra and only has 105 brifters.

Yeah a few bits are better a few worse. I don't have full 105 either, my rear cassette is Tiagra, my chainset is R565 (same as the Comp), but, broadly similar.

I'm intending, over time, to upgrade it to 10-speed Ultegra (including the wheels) so it would be the same spec as if I'd bought a CR1 Pro in the first place ;)