quick wheels or easy wheels ?

hughmc2
hughmc2 Posts: 23
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
"Fresher" needs advice please.

A few weeks back I did my first Sportive. The Century Cycle Challenge. Did an ok time ( 6hrs.52mins ) even though I had 2 punctures - 1 front, 1 rear. ( oh, and I missed a turn and went 3.5 miles down the A6 before I figured out it was a bit lonely ) My problem is that I have Shimano Ultegra wheels and continental GP4000 tyres. They were an absolute B*$@h to get off. Lots of blood involved.
This sunday I am doing the Leicester Supertour ( 112 mile ).

In the garage I have a set of DT Swiss 2.0 with Cont' 4 Season tyres.

My question is, how much will I lose by not using the Ultegra combo compared to what I might gain if I switch to the DT Swiss combo. In case I get another puncture -fest :x . Has anybody had to make a similar call. Did they regret it or was it a revelation ?

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    hughmc2 wrote:
    My question is, how much will I lose by not using the Ultegra combo compared to what I might gain if I switch to the DT Swiss combo?

:?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I bet you lost more time on the 7 mile detour than you did on the punctures. Punctures just happen occasionally and choosing tyres and wheels on the basis of how long it takes to change a tyre seems to me to be an analysis too far. Practice changing tyres if you want less puncture down time.
  • hughmc2
    Sorry, probably badly worded question. Try again.

It's not punctures that are a problem. Piece of p*%s. ( I've got loads of kids so have been fixing flats for years ) It's getting tyres off Tubeless compatible Ultegra wheels at the side of the road !

Over 112 miles will riding a heavier, flexier wheel/tyre set wear me down more than fighting tooth & nail with the Ultegra's in the event of a flat ?
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd take the Ultegra's. 2 punctures on GP4000's sounds like bad luck to me unless they're worn out, I'd expect to average more like 1 puncture every 1,000 miles (3-4 over the life of the tyre, probably all on the same damn ride).
  • hughmc2
    I'd take the Ultegra's. 2 punctures on GP4000's sounds like bad luck to me unless they're worn out, I'd expect to average more like 1 puncture every 1,000 miles (3-4 over the life of the tyre, probably all on the same damn ride).

Thanks, that's good to know. The tyres are quite new but then my nickname is "Unlucky Alf"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did the same event last year and didn't have a puncture - Leicestershire's roads are glorious and smooth and the hand-maidens of Lutterworth are employed to sweep the route beforehand. You'll be fine.

It's not the wheels, it's the tyres as far as I can tell that make it hard work. Try carrying a bit of Fairy Liquid to ease the last couple of inches over the rim. And keep your tyres firm, avoid potholes & sharp stones etc.
    hughmc2 wrote:
    Over 112 miles will riding a heavier, flexier wheel/tyre set wear me down more than fighting tooth & nail with the Ultegra's in the event of a flat ?
    Yes. One is guaranteed, the other is a slim possibility.