Tyres - should I change them?

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Was riding at Swinley last night and was really struggling with the climbs. Was chatting to a guy who said I
should change my tyres as the nobbly bits were struggling to give me grip in the dry loose ground. I have a Giant Trance 26" wheel.

Should I change the tyres away from the Nobby Nics that are on there?
What should I go for?
Do I keep one of the Nobby Nics on the back and change the front?

Ideally I want something that is good for the wet and dry as I cant afford two sets of wheels or have the time to keep changing the tyres every time it rains etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Ignore what people tell you about having to change for a minute. What is it that wasn't working for you, what were you struggling with?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    If you're struggling for traction on climbs on dry loose ground, it may be more technique than tyres. Try climbing whilst sitting in the saddle for better traction, but if it's very steep you may need to slide forward on the saddle a bit and lean forward at the same time to stop the front wheel coming up. Try not to pull the bars upwards, if you do need to pull on the bars try to pull backwards with elbows in. Well that works for me anyway.

Also, what tyre pressure are you running? You will have less traction if it is too high.

Finally, I found the stock Nobbys fine on dry ground, but didn't like them on wet roots and rocks very much.