Rack bag advice please?

iamjeccles
iamjeccles Posts: 17
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

can some give me some advice on which rack bag will meet my needs please?

I cycle to the train station and back each day, which is 10 miles each way. I use SPD shoes but need to change into trainers as I still have a bit of a walk at the other end. I'm looking for solutions for where to store my shoes and maybe a couple of light layers. I thought about buying a rack bag, and maybe one I can leave locked on my bike during the day whilst I'm at work but I can't find one. My other option seems to be a quick release bag that I can take with me.

Can anyone suggest which one would be best, ultimately shoe storage and something reasonably light are my minimal requirements?

Cheers, iamjeccles

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's the volume of something big enough for shoes that does you. The Klickfix Contour Max Touring is big enough (28 x 35 x 25cm 9l.) for a pair of shoes and your other bits. It's easily removed to carry and keep your kit safe.

They also do a 12ltr rear box but you either need one of their adapter plates to fit it to your rack or one of their racks, The box is lockable and locks to the rack
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • teutonic
    teutonic Posts: 8
    Topeak do a nice range of lightweight 'trunk' bags, some of which are 'expandable' with zipaway 'panniers' These are either compatible with 'standard' racks (and attach with velcro straps) or compatible with Topeak's own 'quicktrack' racks (where the bag actually connects to the rack through a 'tongue and groove' type arrangement). You need to make sure you have the right bag to go with the right rack- ! (Also, if you have disc brakes, make sure you get a disc compatible rack)

I have one of these though http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/MTXTrunkBagDX

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/MTXTrunkBagDX

with the compatible 'quick track' rack. Like you, i just need to carry shoes, a light layer or two, waterproof. Brilliant! Just beware nto to overload it with heavy shopping and tear it like mine. It will easily carry clothes and a few books etc though.
  • iamjeccles
    iamjeccles Posts: 17
    Cheers guy, very helpful! I've been looking at the Topeak racks and bags but they may not fit my shoes with going for the MTX version. I want a beam rack (I think) because of weight and easily detaching as my titanium road bike doesn't have eyelet holes. I hadn't heard of Klickfix, so I'll check them out too...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Or change to MTB/leisure style walkable clipless shoes.