need a winter bike full setup- rigid frame, rigid forks etc

TomOdell
TomOdell Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi, mtb people
so, i realised my road bike ain't going to be the best in the winter...
so i'm looking at getting a mountain bike
ideally i want something single speed (less maintainance, right ?) with a hardtail frame and rigid forks
also something with an aluminium frame, preferably
thinking of something to accommodate 29" wheels, but that's not much of a priority
so, i'm looking to spend about £400, but if that's not realistic, let me know
any suggestions ?
thanks a lot

Comments

• TomOdell
    P.s would I be better having a look for a good condition used bike ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Single speed isn't really less maintenenace, my commuter is 3 years old and runs year round, the only thing I've had to replace/maintain in the drivetrain is the chain (ruddy salty water in winter, needs oiling every day sometimes!)

Voodoo Marasa is worth a look, flat barred, hydro discs, rigid 29er all for about £370 (last time I looked), I know 2 owners, one has fitted 32mm road tyres and lightweight tubes (shedding about 1Kg in weight) and flipped the stem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TomOdell
    thanks for that :D !
    just looking at single speeds. it almost seems like you pay more for less
    i like the look of the Cannondale Trail SL 29er 3 SS thouh
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inevitable, SS is a limited market and only likley to appeal to enthusiasts, so the rest of the bike should be specced uop a bit, although the Cannondale name costs them about £150 to add to a bike (it would appear based on what they want for them!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TomOdell
    'tis a shame. i love the simplicity of a single speed. i was looking at a bike with a cassette hub... now that's too simplistic. i need brakes and freewheeling down hills

it looks like the 2013 cannondale bike i linked is sky blue... same as my road bike, haha
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can get a SS kit for a freehub.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools