Almost ran down a cyclist in my car. :(

ValeTudoGuy
ValeTudoGuy Posts: 87
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
On my way home from work at 11:15pm while driving along the Preston back roads near the Grasshoppers Rugby Club, I spotted a cyclist at the last possible moment and had to slam on causing me to stop moments before taking him out. I got out of the car but the cyclist had no intention of stopping and quickly made away.
The fellow was crossing the road so was horizontal to me. He had chosen the apex of the sharpest corner on this stretch of road, which also happens to be the darkest patch of road as there is no road light directly on the corner.

He had lights front and back but as he was completely perpendicular to me I did not see them until I was almost upon him. The gent had elected to wear a camouflage jacket and black cycling pants which might look cool in the day but don't help me see you at night, unfortunately had had also removed the reflectors that had no doubt been attached to the spokes of his wheels at some point during their life which only compounded his invisibility.

Luckily for him, I am very aware of this area and was travelling at 30 on this 40mph road due to the fact I know people often walk down these lanes on their way home from the rugby club bar. Had I been one of the local Fast and Furious wanabe's then I would probably have been traveling at 70mph and Mr cyclist would likely now be a puddle of meat on the floor.

I am posting this in the hopes that Mr Cyclist also frequents this site and perhaps uses this opportunity to consider improving other road users chances of trying to keep him alive.

I am a careful driver and very sympathetic to cyclist... being one myself. But tonight Mr Cyclist I think you are perhaps "Here but for the grace of god."
I would like to say that you are still here thanks 100% to my judgement, but I think perhaps your luck had a part to play in it too.

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'm sure that many of us on this forum are drivers as well as cyclists. I drive into London once a week - logistics of my work mean I have to - and find myself making huge allowances for cyclists and their behaviour. I'm happy to do so and glad I have the '2-way' knowledge, but the behaviour and riding techniques of many of the cyclists I encounter do leave a lot to be desired. I guess we just have to acknowledge that our increased interest in and relationship to cycling means we are perhaps more aware of the riding styles of others, but in your case that increased knowledge sounds like it saved someone's life. Well done.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    There are undoubtedly times when we see cyclist behaviour that makes us cringe or whince. Twice, yesterday, there were cyclists crossing the "uphill" direction of the Kessock Bridge in the roadworks contraflow ignoring (missing?) the cycle path. Now, they're entitled to be there but it does show a massive lack of consideration for fellow road-users and will drain the goodwill of motorists towards cyclists as they're forced to follow them for nearly a mile at 10mph or less.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you'd been doing 70 though you'd have been away long before Ninja Bikist crossed the road. Go faster - you know it makes sense.

</twisted logic>
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I watched an episode of Mythbusters were they proved that driving faster means less damage when you hit an Elk.

Cyclists are like Elk aren't they?

(I may be lying completely about there being less damage, in fact I am but hey it makes for a fun post)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    CiB wrote:
    If you'd been doing 70 though you'd have been away long before Ninja Bikist crossed the road. Go faster - you know it makes sense.

</twisted logic>
    I bought a faster car after a crash once with this logic...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I watched an episode of Mythbusters were they proved that driving faster means less damage when you hit an Elk.

Cyclists are like Elk aren't they?

(I may be lying completely about there being less damage, in fact I am but hey it makes for a fun post)
    Only if they have a head cam. The cranial appendage acts like the antlers in high speed deflection.
    Also total and utter codswallop in my poor attempt at humour
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    edited June 2013
    dhope wrote:
    </twisted logic>
    I bought a faster car after a crash once with this logic...

Years ago I was with a friend who was pulling out of a side road (driving, not cycling) concealed by lots of parked cars. He clipped someone driving past. Long story short no damage and he admitted fault, but I happened to say to the driver that she'd been going too fast for that particular road, and advised caution. Her reply was that she must have been going below the speed limit otherwise we wouldn't have hit her, and it was said in all seriousness.

edit; typo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Happens all the time and every single time it has happened to me it has been the cyclist's fault - except that one time I turned left without checking my mirrors.

FACT.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • A couple of weeks back I was taking a car-full of family for a meal in a restaurant in East Lothian. It was a sunny Sunday evening, so there were a few cyclists about. Saw a roadie coming to rest on the pavement in front of me, after he'd signalled to leave the main carriageway, so he wasn't even on the road.

As I was about to drive past him, he had a clipless moment and fell into the road with his head roughly in line with, and only a few meters from my front wheel; it's a NSL section, so that's not far at all.

Being awesome and all, I drove round him, rather than over his head - he was wearing a helmet, though, so would have been fine. I pulled over to check he was alright but he waved me on, naturally embarrassed that he was delaying us getting to the restaurant.

He didn't have lights or hi viz. Really I should have run him over as a matter of principle.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    did you tweet it?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gbsahne wrote:
    did you tweet it?
    Genius!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • :) you guys have a good way of making me smile about a potentially disastrous situation. Head cams acting as an antler like appendage, is perhaps my favourite reply.
    And no I won't be heading to tw@tter or myface or nosybook or any of those other abominations.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    A major problem down my way this spring/summer is overgrowing trees. The trees, due to the wet winter and late spring I guess, have put on more and thicker growth that I can recall in my lifetime. Long sections of lane are, effectively tunnels and, of course, drivers are weraring sunnies on these bright mornings. Add a cyclist in dark colours and no lights to that scenario and you have a tragedy waiting to happen. Always a problem but especially bad this year IMO.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wunnunda wrote:
    A major problem down my way this spring/summer is overgrowing trees. The trees, due to the wet winter and late spring I guess, have put on more and thicker growth that I can recall in my lifetime. Long sections of lane are, effectively tunnels and, of course, drivers are weraring sunnies on these bright mornings. Add a cyclist in dark colours and no lights to that scenario and you have a tragedy waiting to happen. Always a problem but especially bad this year IMO.

Ride with an Elk. You should be safe then.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Wunnunda wrote:

Cyclist came up to me (yes he caught me up grr!) and was like "mate your back light is on". "oh, cheers". I know my back light is on because even though it's bright sunshine here, but later on my route it's almost nighttime going through the trees.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I know my back light is on because even though it's bright sunshine here, but later on my route it's almost nighttime going through the trees.

Try not to go through the trees. Try to go past the trees.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ride with an Elk. You should be safe then.

moose-heads.jpg
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Wunnunda wrote:
    Long sections of lane are, effectively tunnels and, of course, drivers are weraring sunnies on these bright mornings. Add a cyclist in dark colours and no lights to that scenario and you have a tragedy waiting to happen. Always a problem but especially bad this year IMO.

I had this thought during sections of my ride today. There were certainly bits I thought "I wish I had a rear light on". The dappling effect of sunlight through the leaves doesn't help either (and makes it hard for me to see the road surface properly - I made at least one sharp swerve to avoid a pothole).

And no, I didn't have a helmet on, either. I've given up on wearing mine.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    :) you guys have a good way of making me smile about a potentially disastrous situation. Head cams acting as an antler like appendage, is perhaps my favourite reply.
    And no I won't be heading to tw@tter or myface or nosybook or any of those other abominations.

It sounds like you might need your eyes tested and perhaps head to a opticians instead if you can't see riders
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    northstar wrote:
    :) you guys have a good way of making me smile about a potentially disastrous situation. Head cams acting as an antler like appendage, is perhaps my favourite reply.

It sounds like you might need your eyes tested and perhaps head to a opticians instead if you can't see riders
    :roll:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Wunnunda wrote:

Ride LIKE an Elk. You should be safe then.
    FTFY

Do you think Wiggle sell these? I'd certainly not blame them if they did....
    http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/article_5afca680-9862-11df-99d8-001cc4c03286.html?mode=image&photo=0
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    daviesee wrote:
    northstar wrote:

I can roll my eyes too :roll:
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    northstar wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    northstar wrote:

Me too! :shock:

Oh. Seems I can't. :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    northstar wrote:

Very good. Can you get a point though?
    Cyclists without lights or reflectives while wearing dark clothes are very, very hard to see in the dark whilst driving at a legal and safe speed.
    They are a danger to themselves (and others) and having nearly been caught out while driving myself, it taught me a very valuable lesson in visibility.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I was just pondering that if you did ride with an Elk, could you come up with a theory about dinosaurs?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I was just pondering that if you did ride with an Elk, could you come up with a theory about dinosaurs?

What? Like the brontosaurus theory?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ben6899 wrote:

What? Like the brontosaurus theory?

Is it yours?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    Twice, yesterday, there were cyclists crossing the "uphill" direction of the Kessock Bridge in the roadworks contraflow ignoring (missing?) the cycle path. Now, they're entitled to be there but it does show a massive lack of consideration for fellow road-users .
    The lack of consideration was on the part of Transport Scotland and their contractor who despite numerous complaints doggedly refused to provide a practical diversion route, and also refused to signpost clearly the quite impractical diversion they expected pedestrians and cyclists to follow.
    There were no signs directing cyclists who arrived at the road works on the A9 towards the diversion route, apparently they were supposed to continue through the works on the A9 as the cyclists you complain about were doing. Only cyclists using the NCN were re-directed, and that signing was seriously lacking in clarity.
    Anyway, do you feel the newly refurbished path was worth the six months of inconvenience? :)