New rider, suffolk, whyte m-109

stinger70
stinger70 Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
IMG-20130605-WA0001_zps946ab014.jpg?t=1370446728

Just bought my first bike, a whyte m-109 got it barely used / as new for £1200. Haven't ridden a bike for about 8 years. Had a bit of a play about so far, it goes faster than i ever remember a bike going! Also been messing about on some little dirt track / jumps some kids have built near my house.

I always used to ride with my seat right down low on an 18" bike, it actually feels pretty weird having the seat at the right height, can't throw the bike about like i used to, but then you can go much faster.

In the future i intend to take on some trails once my fitness improves. Are there any other riders from suffolk here?

I still have to buy some essentials like helmet, shock pump, and a bike bag i think as most of the racks don't fit a car with a spoiler.

Comments

• Although flat you should find somthing around Suffolk to keep you busy,

Some of the universal racks may fit your car or a roof mount would.

Loverly weather to just get out on some local trails.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hi'

im from Suffolk I generally ride around west area thou the forest's and stuff seems I don't drive currently also along the river lark tracks.

the little dirt track and the jumps sound very familiar I live very close to them also I think if were talking about the same place.
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    I live in Suffolk, and ride a lovely new Whyte M-109. It looks rather like yours (surprise!) only mine has SPDs on it.
    I have a towbar mounted bike rack. I mainly ride Tunstall & Thetford, ventured down to Bedgebury for the first time last weekend which was well worth the drive.
  • Very nice I love John whytes bikes. I had one of his old marins and it was a dream. Just asking, what mm travel do you have on the front as it looks like a 100mm set up but the SAG looks low it might be the picture or the fact I'm not used to 29ers :oops:

Just check the SAG is set correctly,if your unsure what SAG is just google it.

Love the bike (MINT)

Thanks

Ash
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Somewhat presumptious I think.
    And it's you're. Short for you are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps I Googled sag. First link was the Screen Actors Guild.
    I did however get a definition as well - To lose vigor, firmness, or resilience.

Which is it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Very nice I love John whytes bikes. I had one of his old marins and it was a dream. Just asking, what mm travel do you have on the front as it looks like a 100mm set up but the SAG looks low it might be the picture or the fact I'm not used to 29ers :oops:

Love the bike (MINT)

Thanks

Ash

How can you tell the sag isn't set correctly from a photo without a rider on the bike? Also 109's were 100mm travel marathon bikes so not sure why you'd be surprised by a 100mm fork on it. Always best to establish that you are talking sense before you start spouting it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    PS - Nice bike, have fun. Even in Suffolk. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Very nice I love John whytes bikes. I had one of his old marins and it was a dream. Just asking, what mm travel do you have on the front as it looks like a 100mm set up but the SAG looks low it might be the picture or the fact I'm not used to 29ers :oops:

Love the bike (MINT)

Thanks

Ash

How can you tell the sag isn't set correctly from a photo without a rider on the bike? Also 109's were 100mm travel marathon bikes so not sure why you'd be surprised by a 100mm fork on it. Always best to establish that you are talking sense before you start spouting it.

Because if the shock isn't pumped up to full pressure then you won't get maximum travel. If you only pump it half way you only get half travel. It's the same as a tyre. I was just trying to say that it doesn't look like 100mm on the front it looks more like 80mm. If he set the SAG correctly then he can't go wrong.

Why is everyone so bitchy on here, you don't need to be rood. If you have a bad day at work don't take it out on here.
  • cooldad
    Er without being rude - rubbish. Until someone sits on the bike the forks will be fully extended, even with low pressure (unless it is stupidly low like zero). Same with the tyre.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    nice bike!

kinda jealous lol
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Er without being rude - rubbish. Until someone sits on the bike the forks will be fully extended, even with low pressure (unless it is stupidly low like zero). Same with the tyre.

CAWT.
  • Ben_morris
    Ben_morris Posts: 61
    Theres only 1 way to settle this ..........
  • stinger70
    woops, had kind of given up on checking this thread but it seems people started responding!

I live in the ipswich area, near the foxhall stadium forest. Quite close to tunstall. Tomskii would you be up for riding sometime? Andrew it's a shame you don't drive as that makes things a little difficult!

With regard to the sag, ok i honestly haven't even looked into any of that stuff yet. I'm just over 13 stone and the previous owner was probably 15 stone and said he had set it quite soft, i figured it would probably be about right with me on the bike but im clueless honestly. I pretty much always ride it on descend mode because i like the feeling of having more travel, but i flick it to climb if im climbing. The rear shock again i have no idea but the o-ring hasn't been pushed back more than 50-60mm so im guessing i havent used anywhere near the full travel on that, which is again always set to descend mode.

I'm not sure why the m109 is marketed as a "marathon" bike or whatever. Surely 100mm travel is enough for most trail riding. Like i said i've been off a few jumps on it and it doesnt feel stretched.

As a rider i must admit im slightly concerned because im also into bodybuilding although i don't look like it! I have to put in a lot of work in the gym and eat 4000 calories per day to maintain 14 stone although im slightly lighter at the moment. I would otherwise have probably liked to get into MTB racing but as a skinny guy i just don't think its possible to do both. So i guess i will have to avoid the long distance stuff if i want to build and retain any muscle.
  • Anonymous
    yeah driving wasn't really my strong point
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    Tomskii would you be up for riding sometime?

Aye, I would. Drop me a PM and we'll sort something out
  • stinger70
    edited June 2013
    cant work out how to send a pm on here?
  • cooldad
    Hit the button under their name that says 'PM' next to the little envelope, which is for email.
    I wouldn't put my email address on an open forum as every spambot in town will be after you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stiscooby
    stiscooby Posts: 139
    stinger70 wrote:
    woops, had kind of given up on checking this thread but it seems people started responding!

I live in the ipswich area, near the foxhall stadium forest. Quite close to tunstall. Tomskii would you be up for riding sometime? Andrew it's a shame you don't drive as that makes things a little difficult!

With regard to the sag, ok i honestly haven't even looked into any of that stuff yet.

Ah small world, I live in Rushmere st Andrew just over the back of foxhall stadium :wink: so got plenty of Heath land on the door step, although surprising how quickly you travel around it on a bike and start looking for more.

Thetford forest is worth a drive out too if you haven't been.

P.s. nice bike :)