Road Race Crash Survey

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited June 2013 in Amateur race
Guys, Gals

If you have been involved in a crash during a road race could you please let me know whether anybody 'official' (i.e. the organiser or the commissaire) asked you about it after the race. I'm not trying to 'bash' anybody, just understand the scale of something I'm working on.

Thanks

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I was, and no official spoke to me about it. To be fair they were busy sorting out the more seriously injured.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I’ve never been asked about a crash by officials other than a cursory “are you alright mate?”
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Likewise - never got asked what happened. Mind you, my crash was in a bunch sprint right on the finish line, so most of the officials saw it all first-hand anyway.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    After quite a nasty crash in the Welsh champs a few years back the comms were getting everyone's opinion on what happened. Not sure if they spoke to those that had to go to hospital once they were released. I think in most cases those involved don't know what happened and / or have a differing opinion to the others who were involved. The comms probably get a better picture asking those who weren't involved! My only experience was fairly simple - a sheep ran into the bunch and I got caught in the avoiding action. No one asked me but as the comms car killed the sheep as he avoided the carnage I think he probably knew :lol:
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Been in two crashes in races, one where I was injured badly enough I DNF'ed on the spot. Spoke to the comm at the time in some detail (as I knew him personally), don't think I spoke to him after the race but I'm not 100% sure about that. But he knew who I was and what had happened so could put it into his report.

More recently in a crash in a bigger race where I was one of the less-injured, I finished the race while other riders DNF'ed. Did not speak to the comm nor did he speak to me after the race. No idea what his incident report said.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I've had to (well asked to obviously) fill out the crash/incident report at Hog Hill, but not asked in the (more serious) crash in a handicap - Comm certainly knew I was not seriously hurt though.

Pross - I was laughing at the "unrestrained sheep" in the race programme I got for one of the welsh races I did when I read it - now I know why!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • gryfon23
    gryfon23 Posts: 64
    A fair few years ago now.

Involved in a sprint finish crash. I was well looked after medically, lots of missing skin. Did not speak to the comm.

I think the vast majority of these things are taken as racing accidents. It's a pretty high octane sport.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Police came round for a witness statement some days after a road race crash; one rider sustained life changing injuries.
  • GiantMike
    Thanks for the replies chaps. Similar to my experiences from 2 different crashes.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Does anyone know what the actual legal situation is regarding race crashes?

I’d always assumed that when you sign on you’re effectively signing a release that protects the race organiser, BC officials and other riders from liability if you’re injured or killed, or if your bike is damaged.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Why do you presume that they have to ask you ?

Comms record LOTS of information without consulting riders.

Theres always a common thread to these things that crashes are somewhat the fault of the officials - heres an idea dont crash, actually try racing to the point of everything being strung out rather than moaning about the fact you've appeared in your regions next edition of 'GETDOWN'
  • GiantMike
    Who's blaming the officials for the crashes? It's not a long thread you could at least read it.

Maybe you should consider coaching the TdF riders on their racing style, because they also seem to crash occasionally.
  • maryka
    I think he's called "Thick Tester" for a reason. Both names seem pretty apt. :wink:
  • Thick Tester
    If you must know the moniker is a hint at respecting one of britains finest riders who was once described as being a 'Thick Tester' before going on to rip the legs of folk in the track nationals.
    If you have been involved in a crash during a road race could you please let me know whether anybody 'official' (i.e. the organiser or the commissaire) asked you about it after the race. I'm not trying to 'bash' anybody, just understand the scale of something I'm working on.

So the way i've read that is that :

0.5) You have a history of 'gettingdown' ( i believe ive read one of your post before )
    1) you expect the commisaires to wipe everyones arses and attend to every single scrape
    2) you';ve not had your arse wiped
    3) You feel hard done to

If you must know - i've gone back to my dust covered commisaires handbook. An incident form need only be filled out if there is an incident requireing the intervention of a third party ie police / ambulance.
    I've only ever had to fill one out.. every other time i've recorded a rider crashing in my notes, but it dont need reporting. Of course i'd be concerend and always check in with a rider but dont expect sympathy from us especially if its self inflicted!

If you feel you've had poor service then speak with the commisaire concerned.
    Were the ones giving up our time to ensure you have sport to compete in!
  • maryka

So the way i've read that is that :

0.5) You have a history of 'gettingdown' ( i believe ive read one of your post before )
    1) you expect the commisaires to wipe everyones arses and attend to every single scrape
    2) you';ve not had your ars* wiped
    3) You feel hard done to

Where you got all that from, who knows. I don't think anyone else read the OP that way.

Actually your post tells us a lot more about you than about him. :wink:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    As i understand it, the race is under the control of the comms not the organiser.
    Some comms take rider incidents more seriously than others but the bottom line is that racing is dangerous, more so given that absolutely anyone can race, regardless of ability or fitness, there is no bike check, nothing, just race and pay bc some money!
    is the really point behind your question?
  • GiantMike
    mamba80 wrote:
    is the really point behind your question?

My question? No.

Before I contact BC I wanted to see what other people's experiences were. A lot of people argue a point with no evidence. I just want to get some.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    jibberjim wrote:
    I've had to (well asked to obviously) fill out the crash/incident report at Hog Hill, but not asked in the (more serious) crash in a handicap - Comm certainly knew I was not seriously hurt though.

Pross - I was laughing at the "unrestrained sheep" in the race programme I got for one of the welsh races I did when I read it - now I know why!

This was in the Forest of Dean - I was worried I'd lose consciousness and come around to find banjo playing yokels trying to make me squeal like a pig. There's very few unrestrained sheep in Wales, most are securely chained to the farmer's bed posts :D
  • Thick Tester
    So what exactly IS your concern then ?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    GiantMike wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    is this the really point behind your question?

My question? No.

Before I contact BC I wanted to see what other people's experiences were. A lot of people argue a point with no evidence. I just want to get some.

All the best getting anywhere with BC :( whatever your argument.

how's the collar bone by the way? op or sling?
  • GiantMike
    mamba80 wrote:
    how's the collar bone by the way? op or sling?

Doc looked at the X-ray and said it all looked good and should heal OK. 3 other Docs have said the same thing so I'm happy to let it heal by itself. If it starts to heal badly they're happy to operate but the collar bone doesn't seem to actually do anything other than make your shoulders look nice and protect the artery and nerves underneath.
  • GiantMike
    So what exactly IS your concern then ?

From your previous posts I don't think you'd understand so let's both save a lot of typing. Go and pick an argument somewhere else.