Bike feels different wearing orange lenses

eddiefiola
eddiefiola Posts: 344
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Yeah this is gonna sound a bit weird but when using Orange lenses in my shades the bike feels different, feels like i'm sitting more on top of it and higher up than when not wearing shades, am I just a weirdo?

Or is it to do with the extra light that those orange and yellow lenses seem to bring in, changing depth perception?

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Not at all - everyone knows you go faster in orange. The red tinted lenses really make you fly though...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Jon_R
    Jon_R Posts: 92
    Could the curvature of the lenses mean that what you seem higher up on the bike? I had a pair of sunglasses that made me feel lower down when I rode my mountain bike and so I enjoyed it more when I wore them. :D
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    It could be lens distortion if you've got curved lenses, I've got some glasses that made me feel about 10ft high on the bike. I changed them recently for a different (more expensive pair) and the distortion is less.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The orange are not for sunny conditions so maybe its that if you are wearing them in bright sunlight.
  • Stewpot407
    Stewpot407 Posts: 97
    I've noticed the same when swapping between shaded, yellow and clear lenses. I just put it down to using cheapo dhb Pro's. What are you using?

Cheers

Stew
    An aging Trek 5500 OCLV
    Not so aging Pina Dogma (AK61)
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Yeah Stew its the dhb Pro with the 3 lenses.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Orange lenses are higher contrast so it will feel different as you're seeing things different from normal.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's the lens curvature probably. I feel like I'm another foot higher in the air on the bike with my shades on.
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    Wow! Uncanny !I brought a pair if endura triple lens glasses in march,,,I get the same thing ,,like i am higher in the air with them on ...it happens with the clear lens and amber tinted ones ,cannot remember if i get with the dark lens...weird 8)
    I tired to lower my saddle to compensate for the difference .... :D:D
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    they make you look more pro init!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bad_moose
    bad_moose Posts: 49
    It's probably because of differences in the shape and colour across the lenses. I bought a new pair of sunglasses for sailing last year, and they totally mucked up my foot placement on the boat, I had to slow right down when running around and doing manoeuvres. I had a look at them for a while and realised that the bottom of the lense is ever so slightly darker and thicker than the rest, which is presumably the reason for my difficulties. Just keep wearing them, you'll get used to them pretty quickly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've not noticed any difference using my Oakley lenses.

I did a rare evening ride last night and as the sun was in an unusual position I found it hard to recognise the roads I was on - even though I've ridden them dozens of times in morning light ? Funny the way the mind confuses you.