Anyone used Hermes parcel delivery

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Got a selection of stuff on sale on ebay at the moment which ends saturday. Its going to cost a fortune using the Post Office and none of it is big enough to justify using a courier that collects from the house. Spotted my local newsagent receives parcels for Hermes delivery and the prices seem reasonable about a pound per parcel less than the Post Office.

Anyone got any good or bad feedback about Hermes not too bothered if it takes 2 or 3 days to deliver but more worried about whether the parcels will get there without the usual Royal Mail bootprints on the box or envelopes with "do not bend" labels on that have been folded into 4 to fit in the letter box.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• gkdk
    gkdk Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    Had good experience of receiving parcels with Hermes. They use what they term 'lifestyle couriers' for the final delivery which in effect are people filling their private cars with parcels to deliver locally. They traditionally were used for catalogue deliveries where there was more chance of someone being available to received something in the evening or weekend. However, some other shops are also using them and I had an iPad from John Lewis recently delivered by them.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yup have sent a few things via Hermes they have good price breaks for parcels better than RM

Could also use Collect+
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    I wouldn't trust them to deliver herpes....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Care to elaborate, otherwose the fact you don't trust them is irrelevant really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    I've had lots of electronic goods left outside in the rain by them. Friends of mine have had stuff just thrown over a side gate/fence etc (note they aren't local so not the same driver).

Most couriers are poor but herpes are bottom of the list of those to use, especially for something of tangible value (IMHO )
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What about intangible value?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Excellent delivery of my sons 'new to him' forks yesterday....

Is there anything with no tangeable value?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Some peoples' posts on here have absolutely no tangible value.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    You'd know..... :lol:
  • cooldad
    I am a master of the intangible.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    Well a bit of feedback.

I had to send 6 parcels 2 of which on the sale I had offered RM next day 1st class signed for so I thought it best to go with that. Parcel 1 weight 1.373 kg cost £12.90, Parcel 2 weight 2.770kg cost £14.55. Both parcels arrived next day.

I sent 4 parcels via Hermes. All 4 parcels weighed between 1.3 and 1.65 kg total cost £16.30 and they all took 2 working days to arrive. All you need to do is print the labels and pay.

Royal Mail I think you just priced yourself out of the market when it costs more to post than I sold it for.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Not half, mountain bike tyres (pair) Hermes £4.09, RM £12.90!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use them all the time. And as they have drop off points, I often use that when cannot be in all day for pick up - and it is closer than the post office too!
  • stubs
    The newsagent I used is next door to the Post Office so no difference apart from not being raped for the priviledge of giving my businees to RM.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sent a set of forks yesterday - £6.40! £5.40 without signature!
  • stubs
    Hate to think how much RM would charge for some forks. Probably be cheaper to send them by a man on a horse.
  • I've used them three times in the last month - each time very good.
  • Used them loads of times and have been good so far...
    Remember Rule #5