Newbie - Merida Race Lite 900 or Ride Lite 90

JackCo
JackCo Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

This is my first post so be gentle!

I have always owned a mountain bike and ride from time to time. Over the last 12 months I have started to exercise quite regularly and have taken part in 3 endurance races in that last 6 months (on foot!).

I have decided to ride the London to Southend bike ride next month having never stepped foot on a road bike before. I have spent the last few weeks researching and plan to buy a new bike this weekend from my LBC. I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes:

Merida Race Lite 900
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/ ... e+Lite+900

Merida Ride Lite 90
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/ ... de+Lite+90

Both cost the same and I understand one is more for racing and the other is more of an every day bike but which one is better for the money? I love the look of the 900 but understand that the 90 might be better for my needs. Is there really that much of a difference between the set up of the 2 that I would notice much difference?

Or are there any other bikes that I have completely missed and should be looking at? £600 is my max but my LBC will do either of these bikes for £540 for me.

(The B'Twin Triban 3 is out of stock locally and online btw :) )

Comments

• captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    In terms of parts, there is very little in it. The main difference is the geometry. The Ride will give a slightly more relaxed riding position, more comfortable on long distances, but slightly slower due to raised body position.
    The Race will mean your back will suffer more if (like me) you have a bad back.

The best bet is to try each one and see how you get on. If your LBS is like mine then this won't be a problem.

One thing, if you get the Ride, get rid of the maxxis detonator tyres. Mine picked up punctures on every ride I went on!

Edit: Welcome!
  • Ozzysbeard
    Ozzysbeard Posts: 23
    +1 for getting shot of the detonator tyres. I had them on my Merida Hybrid and were very prone to punctures

Otherwise I like the Merida's and as mentioned, try them and go for the one that fits/feels best. On aesthetics only, I think the Race is better looking :)

Welcome and Good Luck!
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    +2 for getting shot of the detonator tyres,
    I have just replaced them with Rubino pros on my Ride lite 93.
    Geoff
  • JackCo
    Thanks for the input guys. Are the tyres on the race lite 900 still ok?
  • JackCo
    Grabbed the Race Lite 900 for £540.

Now I need a jersey and some shorts! And so it begins...
  • captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    Go for bib shorts (presuming you hadn't already thought of it), they don't slip down and keep the pad in position better!
    Enjoy the new bike!
  • JackCo
    Thanks. I was looking at bib shorts but there are so many brands out there? Any suggestions? Don't have a great deal to spend so something entry level would be good.