Voodo Bizango vs Rockrider 8.1

Dave777
Dave777 Posts: 15
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, been lurking for a while and desperate to get biking.

Saw a review that said the new Voodoo Bizango 29er is excellent. I have heard the Decathalon Rockrider 8.1 is good (my son has a Rockrider 8.0).

Any thoughts? Both around £550-£600. The Voodoo had air shocks and is a 29 inch. I am 6 foot 1 and am new to this.

Please help!!

Voodoo Bizango http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/29er/product/review-voodoo-bizango-13-47282

Rockrider 8.1 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

Dave

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Both great value bikes, I'd go for the Voodoo personally. Not sure about your links though!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Dave777
    Thanks very much, sadly there appears to be no stock in the UK of the Voodoo!

The links worked when I did them!! I will try and fix.

Cheers
  • Dave777
    Does anyone know any other stockists of Voodoo cycles as Halfords have none in the UK according to their website?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think they are the only UK stockist.

Both are well specced - the Rockrider is lighter, with the better forks and parts though.
  • Dave777
    Thanks Supersonic. The reviews of the Voodoo seem to suggest the air forks on it are very good. Do you rate the Rockrider Rock Shox recon forks more highly? I like light as it needs to go on suv roof!

The Rockrider has a handlebar lockout, which I understand is for climbing and roads, do people actually use it?

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RS forks have a better damper....

You use a lockout for smoother surfaces, but to be honest a fork with a decent damper needs the lockout a lot less than one without.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dave777
    Great news, the Rockrider has a better fork and the lockout if needed and lighter. It is £50 cheaper and you can get one in the UK!

Seems a no brainer, need to get to Decathalon now!

Thanks for the input guys.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I'm not sure if you have picked up on the point that the Voodoo is a 29er and the Rockrider 26" wheels?

Some prefer 29ers, but they tend to be heavier and lower specced than 26" bikes at a similar price point.

In any event, the Rockrider should be a great bike for you.
  • Dave777
    I did spot that originally, but lost that thought in the chat about the forks. Obviously heavier as bigger I guess!

As I am tall and have read some reviews on 29 vs 26 I chose the Voodoo!!

Even more confused now. Halfords are emailing me when in stock so I can look, but not sure on when.

I guess both would be good. I have never tried a 29er and have an old steel MTB on 26 wheels.

arrgghh!!!

Cheers

Dave
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The Rockrider is still a great choice.

or a Boardman Comp.....
  • Dave777
    Don't make it more complicated!!!

I do like both. Guess I will have to wait until I can actually see one.
  • Dave777
    The Voodoo has disappeared from Halfords website and I can find no mention of it on Voodoo UK?

It has just won hardtail of the year in a mountain bike mag?

Anyone any ideas?

Ta
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    It seems to be that popular that is sells out a tad quick, but usually they have the bike on there still.
    Mind you the Boardman range is vanishing on the halfords site too (but then they are being refreshed in August/Sept time)
  • Dave777
    Even when they had no stock anywhere it was still on the webpage, it has gone completely now!

I registered for stock updates for when it is available but have heard nothing. Also worried that it is not on Voodoos UK site at all?
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I'm after one too. On Monday or Tuesday there was one in the Penrith store and I almost reserved it but couldn't find the time to drive down from Glasgow to get it and its gone now. It seems that it must have been the last one in the country ! :(
  • Dave777
    There was one in Liverpool a few days ago, but I am down south. It has disappeared from the website completely now so I cannot check sadly.
  • Eels
    Eels Posts: 11
    Halfords emailed me yesterday (in response to my query about when stock will be coming) to say they're expecting stock towards the end of July. Another Halfords employee also replied to my same email saying they had no idea when it will be back. Helpful.
  • Dave777
    Cool should get one by the end of the summer/holidays!

Well done Voodoo/Halfords!
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    According to this thread they are due back in on Sunday

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12926761

Get your fingers on the button and yer credit cards ready , it'll be like trying to get tickets for 1D :P
  • Dave777
    I emailed customer services today and got this back fairly quickly...

Dear David

Thank you for your recent email.

We are expecting further stocks of the Bizango in July.

I do not yet have a more specific date as yet but please keep a close eye on Halfords.com as they will be there as soon as available.

So who knows!!
  • Eels
    Eels Posts: 11
    Yeah, my husband spoke to our local branch today, who were more helpful than he'd anticipated. Stock in July but they have had literally hundreds of enquiries so I reckon they'll fly out the door. The sales guy had one himself and said it's every bit as good as the hype.

Sadly the smallest frame will be 18" so at 5'3" I am going to have to cross it off my list and settle for a Scott :/
  • Dave777
    Nothing turned up on the 16th so looks like July sadly.
  • Dave777
    I have just had an email from Halfords. I had registered for stock updates!!!!

Hi,
    We're sorry but VooDoo Bizango 29er Mountain Bike - 20" is not back in stock yet at your Halfords store.
    If you'd like more information, please call Halfords Customer Services on 08450 579 000 (open Monday - Friday from 08:45-18:00, Saturday from 09:00-17:00 and Sunday 10:30-16:00).
    Thank you for shopping with Halfords Direct.

Oh well keep waiting.
  • hansom13
    hansom13 Posts: 22
    Just received this email today confirming they be in stock next month.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent email.

We are expecting stock of the VooDoo Bizango in July, a more specific date will be confirmed closer to the time.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
    Kirsty Richardson
    Contact Centre Administrator
    Halfords
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    I've went down to my local halfords last night and managed to order a bizango from warehouse stock - comes tomorrow. Don't think they had many left though, he said I'd timed it just right.

I've had a rock rider previously, really run bike, very capable, but I wanted to go down the 29er route this time.
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • mmmcheese
    mmmcheese Posts: 52
    bought my bizango today they are back in stock