New Hoy bikes.....thoughts?

2»

Comments

• I like the styling, and as they are aimed at a certain market the nodderz who buy them are more likely to know more about Sa Calobra than the Stelvio as proven by discussions on here.

This frame wouldn't have to be that good to be better than a lot of cheaper carbon frames.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The Hoy brand looks like it took inspiration from Madison Genesis, http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ok-36202/# but didn't do quite so good a job.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    It does look better in the flesh, however, for £100 less you could get a better looking Canyon Roadlite with full ultegra and almost 1kg lighter and the geometry isn't too dissimilar.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    The bikes look alright if a bit pricey, it's the transparency of the marketing angle that puts me off.

Not that there's anything wrong with naming bikes after riders, good luck to them and all that.
  • philw80
    philw80 Posts: 436
    Was speaking to SCH on Friday and he said they are also bringing out a carbon road bike and a track bike in the range too....
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    This is just my opinion of course but from a graphic design point-of-view these are far better looking than most brands.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Seems to be going after the boardman buyer. Problem is Boardmans were extremely well spec'd for the money when they first hit the streets. Plus the elite series created an illusion of pedigree for the pro series.

He seems to be charging a premium for a non-brand bike. I would personally go with the usual suspects at this kind of money.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Okay, it plays on the name but this isn't someone using SCH's name... It's his own business, that's the key here. Based on his own design ideas and his desires (with external help).

But he's playing it right, following the advice of a certain Aussie in BCF, getting out to the Evans shops in the UK and meeting the staff so when a customer comes in, they're more inclined to remember and push the HOY bike. Even organising rides starting at Evans stores with Sir Chris taking part riding his own HOY bike (which Evans at the NCC built for him) and in his HOY clothing. It's marketing at its finest, reaching out to the cyclist.

What you need to remember is that many users here and "tarty" and appreciate getting something for nothing or nothing for something. This is an even balance me thinks for the everyday cyclist, the sportive rider and more to have a HOY bike.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • diy
    I don't know if it was wise for him to go in to the most competitive section of the market.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    im guessing the brand at the moment will be aimed at all the new cyclists hitting the road who have little knowledge of bike brands etc. need to see some reviews in the mags to see how they get on but not sure they will do that well. my winter bike is my caad 8 tiagra go that for £900, would i have picked the hoy instead? dont think so.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • diy
    The Synapse CAADs and Super Six are similar prices once you start factoring typical discounts e.g. paulscycles.co.uk much nicer looking IMO.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JSCL wrote:

What you need to remember is that many users here and "tarty" and appreciate getting something for nothing or nothing for something. This is an even balance me thinks for the everyday cyclist, the sportive rider and more to have a HOY bike.

Very good point :wink:

The stripes and colours are growing on me (or I am just getting used to them at least) and they are nice looking bikes in terms of geometry and wheels etc.
    Not keen on head tube shape and seat stay join/weld at seat tube tube that much, and shame 003 does not have 105 brakes like 004 has Ultegra.
    They would make a great first bike and so what if you could get a slightly better value spec. Its a far better start to cycling than a lot of options IMO.

Will be interesting to see how they ride.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    samba-parades.jpg

When I read Chris Hoy was producing bikes.....I expected something like this ^

William-Hague-010.jpg243bd156daa9bf9ada6b514fac92bb04.jpg

But instead the bikes look so drab it looks like these two designed them
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Levenstein
    Levenstein Posts: 23
    Went and tested the .003 and .004 other night, both felt very nice and I'm very tempted but a lot of cash monies
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    philw80 wrote:
    Was speaking to SCH on Friday and he said they are also bringing out a carbon road bike and a track bike in the range too....

Can't believe a track bike was not part of the launch range. Instead, it's 'coming soon', or something. That's the one area where the guy really does have some serious cred, but I think he's missed a trick there..
  • Anonymous
    edited July 2013
    How would it be better if a track bike was in the initial line up?
    Which would you swap it for, road, hybrid or have delayed the whole launch?

Seems to make sense to bring the ones that will sell best out first.
    The people they are aimed at are not going to be doing a lot of track cycling.

It's better to add interest to the brand at a later point anyway.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator wrote:
    How has he missed a trick if they are bringing one out?

By not bringing it out at brand launch, that's how. I already said that.
    Carbonator wrote:
    The people they are aimed at are not going to be doing a lot of track cycling.

Dentists aren't going to be buying track bikes, if that's what you mean. But track riding is on the up and there are limited options on good, complete, affordable track bikes - Dolan currently has most of the market, but a bit of competition wouldn't do any harm.
  • Anonymous
    Opps, edited my post while you were replying.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    The hybrids look quite nice in the flesh, functional and not over showy so not obv to bike thieves. Had a play down the streets in birmingham, the guys in evans looked a bit wary but left them my car keys, wallet etc and they eventually let me take one round the block.

If i start commuting then yep will prob get the basic one, will do the job.
  • Anonymous
    The hybrids are great. The bottom 2 have a single chainring but thats ideal for what a lot of people will want to use them for.
    All have hydraulic brakes and are a nice ride.
    Easily worth the extra over cheaper hybrids IMO.

I thought you could test ride any bike at Evans if you have I.D.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    There a bit funny in the birmingham store, inner city and all that and they have lost a few was the reason i was given.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    triban wrote:
    I've got my heart set on a Wilier Izoard for my next bike (based on looks alone :roll: )... just can't decide what groupset to go for.

Good choice.

It's italian, therefore anything other than Campagnolo is just wrong. I'm not impressed with Wiliers (recent) use of FSA mixed in to save money though...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I think the paint scheme looks pretty nice.
    Ultegra including the brake blocks for 1300 quid looks pretty damm good to me.

The bike hasn't even had to same cost cutting measures bikes twice the price have E.G My 2 grand Felt came with a bog standard shimano 10 speed cassette this £1.3k Hoy gets a 105 cassette.

It doesn't even have a terrible pair of wheels.

I haven't looked but if the model down comes in under £1k (c2w scheme) then they are probably going to be big sellers.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    They look have decent in terms of value but there's no pizazz to the bikes. Can't help but feel this is a missed opportunity and it's not just the colour scheme. Not really sure what his target market is, perhaps he should be selling something carbon for a grand extra with Dura-Ace and Ksyriums? Not sure really, but I know it needs "something".
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • May be he's targeting those intelligent people who do their research and know a well specced alu bike will out perform a cheap carbon moulded generic thickly painted frame with bollix components.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    He needs some accessories too. Wonder what his feeling on wearing a helmet is.
  • Anonymous
    May be he's targeting those intelligent people who do their research and know a well specced alu bike will out perform a cheap carbon moulded generic thickly painted frame with bollix components.

I heard that 2300 ruled. That was probably from the same people that would not like carbon frames though.
    I am really confused now :(
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I find it a bit disappointing that while Cipollini came out with a serious brand a few years ago that are now raced in pro tours, our greats are making value bikes for training and sportives. Chris Hoy is world class.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    earth wrote:
    I find it a bit disappointing that while Cipollini came out with a serious brand a few years ago that are now raced in pro tours, our greats are making value bikes for training and sportives. Chris Hoy is world class.

The higher your profile, the broader your available market. Besides, if you are talking about 'our greats' I guess you mean just Hoy and Boardman and it's hardly fair to say that Boardman don't make pro standard bikes (not that I'm really sure what you mean by "bikes made for training and sportives"! Froome could probably have won the tour on any Boardman road bike). I'd imagine that the Hoy brand will gradually gain a broader market too with high end bikes coming in time.

Cipollini as a brand probably wouldn't work well at the lower end given the character of the man himself.......
    Faster than a tent.......