Single Speed or Hub Geared Options

leecasey
leecasey Posts: 17
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a low maintenance commuter, go (almost) everywhere weekend bike!

I definitely do not want the hassle of traditional gears so quite content with a single speed or a hub geared bike.

So far I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Charge Plug 3 £405 (3 gears)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-3-s ... tion-2013/

On-One Pompino £500 (single speed fixed, £25 extra for freewheel)
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPKOJ ... urban_bike

Vitus Vee 29er £300 (single speed)
http://www.vitusbikes.com/city-bikes-2013/vee-29-2013

I think if the Charge Plug 3 had drops I would not have an issue choosing. But then if the Pomp was £100 cheaper I probably wouldn't have such a hard time deciding. But then theres the Vitus Vee, awesome reviews and VERY low price! So I have come here for help! :D

What's everyone elses opinions on the above? Have I missed any? I want to keep it under 500. Otherwise the Kona Paddy Wagon would be in the list too.

Thanks

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is this going to double as a winter bike (do you want it to take full guards) and what part of the word do you live in?
  • leecasey
    I'm in the UK, I will use it in winter but not when its wet and horrible outside. Guards aren't really a necessity.
  • iPete
    ..but are you in the flatter parts of the UK? Personally I'd go SS for ultimate simplicity (or fixed if you are doing it properly ;) ) and out of those would get the Pompino all day. As a bonus it also has mounts for proper mud guards.
  • leecasey
    It's relatively flat, I'm not sure how well I will get on with SS/Fixed. It will be my first! I bought a Croix De Fer in January and I use a single gear for the whole journey. Just want something simple with no maintenance the Croix de Fer is an overkill!

I am definitely swaying towards the Pomp! Are there any advantages to fixed over single speed? I think as a newbie I'd be better off with a freehweel. Have to pay an extra £25 for freewheel which is a tad annoying!

A flip-flop hub is a wheel that can be flipped between fixed and free right?
  • iPete
    Correct, you can attach a fixed cog to one side and the free wheeler to the other.

If you are a fairly new cyclist I would start out SS. I find fixed great for finding a rhythm, carrying momentum over short climbs, getting a better workout and anticipating the road better. There are downsides, going downhill sucks, filtering traffic is harder/different, you need to avoid curbs and take it easier on corners to avoid pedal strike.

Had a look at the other two bikes, they are all ok but the pomp seems hands down better to me.
  • leecasey
    Hmm heres throwing another in the mix...

I can get the Genesis Day One Disc for £595. Which isn't miles off the Pomp once I add the freewheel. Definitely more off road focussed but not sure that's nesacarily a bad thing. Can always get some new tyres. But the Day One brings Avid BB7 disc brakes!

I'm not sure on weights but I'm guessing the Day One is going to be a bit heavier?

Decisions decisions! :S
  • iPete
    I quite like the idea of a disc on my fixed. Although from my (little)experience they can be tricky to maintain.

That would certainly make an awesome winter machine, it might be heavier but not by much and it isn't something I'd worry about.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Avid BB7's are a breeze to set up and maintain.

Whilst fixed or single speed are "all the rage" the old Sturmey archer 3 speed hub gear is mega reliable and pretty much maintenance free and gives you 3 gears rather than 1!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • leecasey
    Thank you sir! You've helped me make my decision!
    I'm going to see if On-One will do me a custom Pompetamine frame, freewheel, drops, disc brake on front for < £600. If they can't I'll go with the Day One.
  • iPete
    No worries, although i'm sure people with more experience than me with hub gears and discs will come along and cause great confusion all over again...

Oh hi t4tomo 8)
  • leecasey
    t4tomo wrote:
    Avid BB7's are a breeze to set up and maintain.

Whilst fixed or single speed are "all the rage" the old Sturmey archer 3 speed hub gear is mega reliable and pretty much maintenance free and gives you 3 gears rather than 1!

and its 200quid cheaper! Argh! What a hard decision! I wish the plug 3 had drops :/
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    Having just went Fixed-Gear (Python Atlas and it's running great :) ) as above traffic at junctions is a bit different and steep descent make a very good workout fighting the rotation but I am enjoying it a great deal and find that maintenance is a breeze! my LBS (http://www.hamiltonbikes.co.uk) added a freewheel for £6 extra to the bike.

It's definitely a bigger workout and I enjoy it more so for that, my commute is approx. 9 miles each way although I intend to flip the hub for longer rides soon (35+ miles on a short holiday with the missus soon). Have ridden it a couple times almost 20miles in 1 go fixed and it's hard in places.