2x10 clutch mech worth it?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Will I see any benefit from fitting a X9 clutch mech instead of a standard mech?

I was under the impression they were more geared (no pun intended) toward 1x10 set ups?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, they are just ten speed and all ring set ups would benefit if you feel slap's a problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If I was going to be buying a new mech anyway, I'd probably get a damped (aka clutched - it's just the clutch acts as a friction damper) one, but for a bit of slap avoidance on a 2x10 I wouldn't replace a good one....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I think the Sram type 2 rear mech is only 10 speed.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • white91
    I'm running 2x10 speed, it's SRAM X9
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Worth swapping over to a clutch type mech if you have chain drop issues too.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I put one on and it has eliminated chain loss and slap completely. Very happy.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'd get a clutch one if replacing for a reason (break etc) but wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of it. Can deal with a bit of slap.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    would it be worth getting a chain device instead of stumping up for a new mech,i have the same issue but only a 2 month old bike and cant afford a new mech.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    maybe, maybe not. whats your current setup?
  • hainman
    X5 shifters 10sp.X7 rear mech 10sp. X5 front mech,10sp direct mount.having a sh*t load of chain slap or chain drop and its a pain in the backside,esp when you dont notice its dropped,go to pedal and the chain is stuck,resulting in the chain nearly snapping or bending,i would love to get the type 2 xp but funds just aint there
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    My chain used to 'whip' off a lot from the bottom of my chainrings when I was freewheeling and rear sus compressed. When I broke my old x9, I replaced with a x9 type 2. Solved the problem.

Type 2's m,ay be a bit more delicate though - had some chain suck on a particularly muddy/wet race and pulled the mech beyond its limits, breaking the 'clutch'/tension spring. Luckily wiggle replaced on warranty.
  • 97th choice
    hainman wrote:
    X5 shifters 10sp.X7 rear mech 10sp. X5 front mech,10sp direct mount.having a sh*t load of chain slap or chain drop and its a pain in the backside,esp when you dont notice its dropped,go to pedal and the chain is stuck,resulting in the chain nearly snapping or bending,i would love to get the type 2 xp but funds just aint there

What bike?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • hainman
    67quid from wiggle for type2 x9,mmmmm decisions.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman
    sorry Giant reign 2.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • 97th choice
    Press fit BB and I'm not sure if that model has tabs on the BB so a clutch mech may be your only viable option.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • hainman
    97th choice it has 3 pre-drilled holes behind the cranks on the drive side BB,just not sure what iscg it is,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • white91
    I hope I can get a few quid back on the standard x9 mech
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If funds are tight I'd look at a Blackspire Stinger instead or see if Superstar do something similar for cheaper. They can usually be had for around £25.

I don't think it will help on the chain slap issue but should help chain retention.
  • hainman
    i looked at that plus the bionicon one,only problem with the blackspire or superstar one is what ISCG tabs??it says ISCG tabs on the spec sheet from giant so would that mean its that exact on or ISCG05?
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • 97th choice
    If it says ISCG on the spec then that will be what it is, you could always measure if you aren't sure.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • hainman
    @97th cool chhers,if it was ISCG05 it would state that?does that not mean taking off the drive train to measure?
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    hainman wrote:
    would it be worth getting a chain device instead of stumping up for a new mech,i have the same issue but only a 2 month old bike and cant afford a new mech.

I've pretty much eliminated chain slap (and dropped chains) - 2x10, medium cage mech, Blackspire Stinger.

I like the set-up so much I'm doing the same again on my current enduro/AM build. Although a mate just said the clutch mechs make it far easier to put in a wheel with a bolt-through axel but I'm just thinking it's more stuff to go wrong...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • hainman
    nice one felix,i'll go with that option,just need to be sure what ISCG im needing
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie