Road Bike Issues.

peacock1987
peacock1987 Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

I recently purchased a Trek 1.1 road bike to go alongside my Pinnacle Hybrid. I've been doing distances on both but, despite assuming that the road bike would improve my speed etc..., I have found the opposite. I am really struggling in comparison to the hybrid. I am putting it down to not knowing the bike as well as my other piece of kit. I am finding myself shifting gears constantly to try and get into a rhythm and I am often pedalling followed by a short freewheel period because I cannot keep going. Any suggestions? It's worse when I stop and then go again. Maybe this is part of the issue as I am seizing up.

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Sounds like a fit issue to me - are you much more crouched in position on the Trek? If you can't breathe properly you can't work hard.

Also, are the tyres at the same pressure on both? Should be >100psi on the roadie.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • I'll have to get back to you on the tyre pressure. I feel a little more crouched, but isn't that normal? My height is bang on the limit for the upper end of one bike and the lower for the next size. After consultation and trying them out in store, they recommended the smaller bike. In general, it is much more uncomfortable, the seat being a nightmare! I get pains up my arms which is leading to me changing grip position sometimes. Again, not sure if this is normal.
  • I wouldn't expect you to be any faster on the road bike, especially if the hybrid is of similar spec'. Infact, the extra comfort of the hybrid probably outweighs any minute aero benefit you may gain by drop bars.

My honest opinion is that drop bars are 99% none beneficial for 99% of road riders!! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Where are you placing your hands on the new bike?
    Is it comfortable to ride with your hands on the brake hoods?
    How about on the flat section of the bar near the stem.

Maybe try adjusting the angle of the bars to give the most useful range of comfortable hand positions.

A 'comfortable crouch' position that allows good breathing is fine, but impaired breathing or discomfort / pain should be avoided.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I moved from a Giant hybrid to a road bike (Cannondale CAAD8 105) in January, initially I didn't get an improvement, it took me a while to get used to the new bike - riding position, weight, gearing etc., on my hybrid I tend to power through on the big gears whereas had to learn to ride differently on the CAAD8 but looking back on strava there is a decent improvement now on my commutes by 3-4mph, that will be a combination of bike, better fitness, better riding style etc. I think.

I also found an improvement when I increased the height of my saddle, initially I had it too low
  • I find it more comfortable to go on the lower bars (for my arms). However, a more upright position is what I prefer to sit at. I've found myself struggling to pull the brake levers with any force with my hands on top, often feeling like I have to place my hands underneath so that I can get a proper grip. The seat is definitely an issue, I think. My backside has never felt so bruised!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    It sounds like the fit is not right for you if you are feeling this uncomfortable on the bike, no wonder you dont ride so well on it. Re saddle position, I found even a couple of mm change in the saddle angle made an uncomfortable ride much better. You have to play around with it or get a pro bike fit, to see what works best for you.