sag on forks

MynciBoots
MynciBoots Posts: 15
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Back again with probably a daft question! How do I know if the sag on my fork is set properly? Tried it through the range but doesn't seem to have much effect, apart from when I try bombing away from traffic lights when it's on soft. P.s. I know I should lock the forks on the road, but near me the roads are rougher than trails through the woods!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What forks?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    What forks?

+1 and read the stickies in the workshop section
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    May be wrong, but I think you can only set the sag on air forks. Coil forks may have a pre-load but it's not really the same as sag.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    May be wrong, but I think you can only set the sag on air forks. Coil forks may have a pre-load but it's not really the same as sag.

I think you're getting confused there. Preload adjustment is used to set sag. With an air fork it's done by altering the pressure with a pump, on a coil fork it's done by compressing (literally pre-loading) the spring by the adjuster on the top of the fork leg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May be wrong
    Yup......

On a coil spring you set the top mount position, so lower it by 5mm and you reduce sag by 5mm in doing so you pre-load the spring), spring rate stays the same.

On an air spring you increase air pressure and therefore spring rate, but both adjust sag.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.