SLX (M675) Brake Squeal and down on power

nadama
nadama Posts: 12
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I bought some M675 brakes from rose bikes a few months ago. Now every time i use my brakes the squeal horrendously and very low on power. This seems to go by the end of the ride or after a long decent and the power comes back.

I managed to get a half decent bleed on them however they seem to get soft fairly quick.

The front lever also leaks fluid out initially after bleeding for the first few miles when I initially pull the lever.

Any idea what the problem maybe and how I may resolve it.

Thanks

Nathan

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A few more details would help - new brakes - how many times have you bled them? They shouldn't have needed any.
    Where does the fluid leak from?
    Did you shorten the cables?
    Have you sprayed/got anything near the rotor?

Based on what you've said could be the hose isn't connected to the lever properly, letting fluid out and air in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    squeal and down on power sounds like contamination or glazed.

clean them and see if it helps or remove. clean the rotors and calipers and fit new pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nadama
    Thanks for the replies. I have bled them a couple of times. Initially because I shortened the hoses then again because the bled wasn't very good.
    The fluid leaks out between the main reservoir and top silver cap on the lever. This however seems to improved although not completely gone.
    I have tried cleaning the rotors and sanding the pads down. However when i did a stop again as soon as it got to a slow(ish) speed the squeal was there. (they don't squeal at higher speeds)
    I don't think i have got anything on the rotors but not saying it isn't possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nadama wrote:
    The fluid leaks out between the main reservoir and top silver cap on the lever. This however seems to improved although not completely gone.
    Remove cap, make sure diaphragm is mounted correctly, refit.......I bought some that leaked at that joint, turns out the the diaphragm was twisted out on one side.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nadama
    I have just tried this and it does seemed to have worked.
    Thanks
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    nadama wrote:
    Remove cap, make sure diaphragm is mounted correctly, refit.......I bought some that leaked at that joint, turns out the the diaphragm was twisted out on one side.

good job its not dot4 etc as it could speed up hydration lol
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    lon 456 wrote:
    nadama wrote:

good job its not dot 4-etc as it could speed up hydration !! lol
  • nadama
    Thanks. I have sent them off to rise bikes for the calipers to be sorted. Just hope they come back fixed.

Thanks for all the replies