What to upgrade first?

goranilic
goranilic Posts: 2
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Just bought used Trek FX 7.1 (2009). It looks great and it is a mint condition. Just curious, according to your experiance, what would upgrade first on such a bike. Please advise?

Thanx.
G

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Whatever wears out first.

There are three main reasons for upgrading:

1) Because an item has worn out and needs replacing but you like the look of a more expensive item.

2) Because you believe the marketing hype that saving a few hundred grams will make you go faster than Bradley. It won't make any difference and the only thing that really gets lighter is your bank account.

3) Adding comfort because something is uncomfortable. Only you can answer what needs to be upgraded in this case because you will feel uncomfortable.

Of course you can buy things because they are more bling/prettier/more expensive/more impressive than what you currently have and they will have little effect on your riding but tell everyone else you like to spend money on your bike.

All your choice really....I did buy some new wheels because they looked cool (red rims) and made my bike look different than every other bike I see. Vanity I know but there is the truth.
  • The cockpit/contact points (grips, pedals, seat) - that is personal to the individual rider.
    Then the tyres (again personal preference and dependent on where you ride - smooth tarmac, glass strewn etc).
    Then, as said before, anything that wears out.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    tyres first, then wheels is the stock answer for these type of questions.

Does depend on the tyres/wheels you have though. If they are stock tyres/wheels then they can be significantly improved (probably).

This answer is dependant on you not needing to upgrade due to things wearing out or not fitting you as mentioned in the questions above
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Whatever wears out first.

There are three main reasons for upgrading:

1) Because an item has worn out and needs replacing but you like the look of a more expensive item.

2) Because you believe the marketing hype that saving a few hundred grams will make you go faster than Bradley. It won't make any difference and the only thing that really gets lighter is your bank account.

3) Adding comfort because something is uncomfortable. Only you can answer what needs to be upgraded in this case because you will feel uncomfortable..

+1, although would also add

4) making the bike safer, e.g. I upgraded the cantilever brakes n an aged hybrid to Vs because I wanted to stop

although this in turn meant I had to upgrade the levers and because they were a 1 piece unit, also the geartrain, so that went from a 7 speed to an 8 speed, which also meant that the screw on freewheel had to go, which meant a new backwheel, cassette and chain
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd also add that if it needs lots of upgrades then you have bought he wrong machine - can be expensive to buy, then repalce most of it!
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    gbsahne wrote:

4) making the bike safer, e.g. I upgraded the cantilever brakes n an aged hybrid to Vs because I wanted to stop

although this in turn meant I had to upgrade the levers and because they were a 1 piece unit, also the geartrain, so that went from a 7 speed to an 8 speed, which also meant that the screw on freewheel had to go, which meant a new backwheel, cassette and chain

Wow is braking that important to you? :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne wrote:

Have you ever tried cantilever brakes from the 1990s? I'd also add that the wheels, front & rear mech were also due for retirement.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    gbsahne wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

Have you ever tried cantilever brakes from the 1990s? I'd also add that the wheels, front & rear mech were also due for retirement.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#85
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    goranilic wrote:
    Just bought used Trek FX 7.1 (2009). It looks great and it is a mint condition. Just curious, according to your experiance, what would upgrade first on such a bike. Please advise?

Thanx.
    G

I had a Trek FX 7.1 2013. Ultimately the thing I'd upgrade is the frame, as it's a heavy bike! Ultimately it got hit by a car and I bought a road bike instead, but still..

* Clipless pedals, completely essential for most bikes. You can get a set of double sided clipless for £17 so they are a good cheap upgrade.
    * Tyres, the stock tyres aren't great, if the 2009 is the same as mine they are normal road rims so you could fit down to 23c if you wanted, but I reckon 28c will do with a bit of tread, but it depends what sort of riding you want to do.

Other than that the upgrades start to get less cost effective, and in fact start costing more than the entire bike is worth in order to yield decent results.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#85

I think 48mph on Monday qualifies as following #85