Well I was just cycling along..and

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
My cleat snapped causing a bit of a moment.One to add to the "sh1t cyclists say" collection me thinks.
IMG_20130604_142903_zps1b3f7330.jpg
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    And heres me posting a thread asking someone to convince me to 'clip-in', and you're reporting on cleat failure!! :shock: :wink:
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Mind you judging by the picture a cursory inspection may have indicated the possibility of failure in the near future. :wink:

I carry spare cleats in my Look equipped bike's saddle pack for just such an eventuality
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    and you wonder why I continue to use SPDs - with METAL cleats ...

... I just have to put up with the squeak when they get a bit dry ...
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Slowbike wrote:

You may have just solved a mystery I've been experiencing for ages and couldn't figure out!!

Ta.

@Schoie81 - Please move on. Nothing to see here :)
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Ride hard wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You may have just solved a mystery I've been experiencing for ages and couldn't figure out!!

Ta.

@Schoie81 - Please move on. Nothing to see here :)

:D:D:D

I've been spraying my right pedal before every ride...works for about an hour then starts again. Did I think about the cleat?

Nope... :D
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Must of been the stresses caused by the pace we set up the horseshoe pass on Sunday :D
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Canny lad wrote:
    must have been the stresses caused by the pace we set up the horseshoe pass on Sunday :D

Now, that would be pro. @elderone could then coin another sh1t cyclists say phrase with "The equipment just couldn't handle my power output"

@CookeeeMonster - I'm OCD and like a silent ride, so even the smallest squeak or rattle gives me a nervous twitch and has to be investigated. The squeaks only happened intermittently but I'll try what y'all have suggested.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Spray with furniture polish, works for me.
  • slowbike
    freezing77 wrote:
    Spray with furniture polish, works for me.
    that'll be the silicone then ... ;)
  • slowbike
    Ride hard wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You can diagnose by listening for when it's squeaking - if it's the same on every pedal stroke then it's to do with the position of the crank/pedal/shoe ... then you just need to sort out which one (or both) ...
    I find if I twist the shoe - heal out a bit - then the squeak stops - so I know it's the cleat ...
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    elderone wrote:
    My cleat snapped causing a bit of a moment.One to add to the "sh1t cyclists say" collection me thinks.
    IMG_20130604_142903_zps1b3f7330.jpg

Dude, they should of been replaced way before this happened. Look at the wear on them.

No point in risking stuff like this when the cleats are cheap and its a lot better experience clipping in n out when they are not worn right down
  • kampernaut
    kampernaut Posts: 27
    You been walking around a lot on those? Might be worth trying those plastic covers to slip over them to save the wear. Lot less slippy too.
  • elderone
    Canny lad wrote:
    must have been the stresses caused by the pace we set up the horseshoe pass on Sunday :D
    :lol: IF only that was the case matey.These are me old shoes not the ones I had on sunday.

Zoomer,have some on order just havn,t arrived yet,and to be fair they look a lot worse than they actually are.
  • elderone
    Ride hard wrote:
    Canny lad wrote:

Now, that would be pro. @elderone could then coin another sh1t cyclists say phrase with "The equipment just couldn't handle my power output"

Like it.Another one to add would be,"are your cleats carbon :?: ,how much do they weigh :?: :lol: