Fox Fork...service or replace

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My Fox float 32's just went in for a service and it's been pointed out that there is wear on one stanchions.

Looking at it, there are no real gauges, but there are visual wear "lines", and the outer coating is looking a little thinner on the left hand post.

guy in the shop is recommending replace - saying i probably won't get much longer out of it. Ironically it was the other leg that was leaking oil (post last service) that prompted me to take it back. They now notice wear on the right hand fork.

What constitutes the "need" to replace the stanchions? something I can ill afford. Am I risking any damage??

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wearing the stanchion a bit won't make anything else worse, it has to get pretty bad to risk damaging the bushing.

2 choices
    1/ replace now
    2/ Ride it until before you think the bushing will be damaged and then change with a slight risk it will need a new bushing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    The bushing will already be damaged so just ride it until its ruined. When you have new stanchions new brushings will be fitted and sized to fit.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I've just been chatting to an ex sram tech guy who pretty much said if it's not leaking, don't replace it.

If you do replace the stanchions, then do the bushings with it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    New CSU, service and bushings are expensive as a new fork sometimes lol.

I'd be tempted to sell it now (with the quote from the SRAM bod), and get some nice new forks.