whats your stupidest bike related purchase?

2»

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Flashing led valve caps.
    But they were for my 5 yo son's bike!

If you are 5 then they are super mega cooltastic!! Pretty good if you're 35 too ;)

or 43 - excellent for commuting through towns on winter evenings
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    RiderUk wrote:
    On ebay right now is a Rapha Black Retro Style Bike Cycling Cap with a current highest bid of £72.10p.
    The auction has 14 hours to run, what is so special about this Cap.
    Sorry not able to provide the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAPHA-BLACK-RETRO-STYLE-BIKE-CYCLING-CAP-/370828127073?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item5657142b61
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    An Italian cycling jersey ordered from the Internet. Despite being a large size, it barely made it over my shoulders.

Cycling jersey sizes are almost completely random.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Spokey dokeys.

I was 10.
  • A flat barred hybrid.
  • SHADOWMATE
    SHADOWMATE Posts: 85
    rpherts wrote:
    An Italian cycling jersey ordered from the Internet. Despite being a large size, it barely made it over my shoulders.
    Cycling jersey sizes are almost completely random.

I totally agree. Been stung lots of times with crazy interpretations of what should be an agreed upon standard? Strava kit was bought and then instantly sold cos of this. Tut. Race cut is also another way of saying " the size you think you want - 1 or 2" . Jackets fit and same size jerseys dont. or good fit onbody but arms short n too tight. No more for me. try before i buy in an actual shop from now on.
    Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
    with....gears of war.
  • dpGoose
    dpGoose Posts: 14
    When I was in upper school I got a bike alarm. It attached to the frame and would be activated through vibration. It worked perfectly. I heard it several time throughout the day while sitting in lessons as the other kids would go out and poke my bike on purpose. :x
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614
    Polka Dot jersey

yep, that one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    CO2. Threw all mine away.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The so called third and forth hand tools. Probably used each one once. Although the cable pullers do make a somewhat handy tool for tightening plastic wire ties.

A cheap truing stand. What a waste.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    on reflection, probably all those so called puncture proof tyres for commuting that just aren't, Gatorskin and the likes... various saddle bags, salmon kool stop pads, CNC jockey wheels, ceramic BB bearings.

Luckily I have never believed in specific sport nutrition... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    on reflection, probably all those so called puncture proof tyres for commuting that just aren't, Gatorskin and the likes... various saddle bags, salmon kool stop pads, CNC jockey wheels, ceramic BB bearings.

have you tried michelin pro race 4 endurance? you'll probably get the odd one but i reckon over the years i've had 2 or 3 in about 20,000 miles!

although having said that and horribly tempting fate i'd better pack some extra spare tubes for tomorrows commute!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Chris Bass wrote:

have you tried michelin pro race 4 endurance? you'll probably get the odd one but i reckon over the years i've had 2 or 3 in about 20,000 miles!

although having said that and horribly tempting fate i'd better pack some extra spare tubes for tomorrows commute!!

On the canal path there is glass, there are nails and various sharps... the only tyre that offers good protection is a touring tyre and if it makes my commute 54 seconds longer over a 45 minutes journey, so be it..
    left the forum March 2023
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Fancied a new saddle, decided to try a Fizik Arione. Was going to order the normal one, but was seduced by the 'Mark Cavendish' one since I'm a Cav fanboy and it had stealthy carbon rails, cost an extra £40. Fitted it tonight and realised it look utterly awful due to my bike being black and silver with patches of white and red, and the saddle being black and dark green. So I'd say that £40.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Possibly a Scott CR1 SL frame, if, when it's built up, the Mrs realises that the bike is worth a lot more than the £300 I will say that I "paid a mate (who's rich and she knows he keeps his stuff immaculate) for it because it's hardly been used in the five years he's owned it".
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    W12 lad wrote:
    Possibly a Scott CR1 SL frame, if, when it's built up, the Mrs realises that the bike is worth a lot more than the £300 I will say that I "paid a mate (who's rich and she knows he keeps his stuff immaculate) for it because it's hardly been used in the five years he's owned it".

LMAO! 5 years for a 2012 model? That doesn't work does it?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    She suspects it's not really secondhand and has already added a multiplier to what you told her in order to calculate what you really paid for it - and that may well come to more than it really cost. If you'd taken it on the chin you could have 'sold it' to her as being a bargain by showing her the advert, which then justifies future claims of just how much sale discount you can get when buying 'just at the right time'.

I'd say you missed an opportunity. I think you need confessions@bbcradio2.com or whatever the address is. :-)
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    You have a point but I know that if she knew I'd spent £500 on just a frame, she would seriously consider leaving me! She knows that expensive bikes exist (to her, 1k+), but sees them as the preserve of pros or very rich and/or stupid people. The line about how much I saved will work much better on my mate's bike that he paid 1200 or 1300 quid for 5 years ago, for £300 than the truth imo.
    We'll see. :?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Just you wait till she turns up with a handbag/shoes/top that she has:
      a) had for ages, b) been given/bought cheap off a friend, or c) got cheap from TK Maxx.

:lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    W12 lad wrote:
    You have a point but I know that if she knew I'd spent £500 on just a frame, she would seriously consider leaving me!
    Really?! My wife bought me my roadbike and didn't worry when I bought the CX ... I can't just go out and spend (ok - I could, but she wouldn't like it) - but after a discussion we'll normally agree on something.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Muddy fox cycling shorts from sports direct. terrible.
  • SHADOWMATE
    SHADOWMATE Posts: 85
    Bicygnals. Just no good for a beautiful road bike. Maybe commuting. And muddy fox cycling shoes. They bent like they were made for ballerinas. Utter garbage!
    Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
    with....gears of war.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    SHADOWMATE wrote:
    Bicygnals. Just no good for a beautiful road bike. Maybe commuting. And muddy fox cycling shoes. They bent like they were made for ballerinas. Utter garbage!

i've always thought these were a bad idea, the signals dont seem far enough apart to be easy to see which one is flashing. And most cars would just see a flashing light on a bike and assume it was just a flashing bike light!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    A racing licence - sad thing is I repeat the mistake every year!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Hmm,. Several times I've considered buying a turbo trainer, but I don't want to spend £150 on something I might use a couple of times and get sick of it!

Redeem your turbo, www.sufferfest.com

IWBMATTKYT
  • loismustdie
    loismustdie Posts: 127
    First was a Santa Cruz Superlight - amazing bike but I could only ever think of it as a slow road bike, rode it about eight times, bought for £2k sold for £800

BMC CX02 - again, great bike, but I could never get used to the crappy braking from cantis/mini v's - I spent more time adjusting the brakes than riding it (although my brother in law now has it and loves it, so not a complete waste). Replaced it with a Jamis Nova Race with bb7 discs, which is awesome as a cx/winter roadie.
  • marshall_a
    marshall_a Posts: 90
    Halfords bike care plan... why oh why!! :x :x :?:
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    marshall_a wrote:
    Halfords bike care plan... why oh why!! :x :x :?:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The word care and Halfords do not belong in the same sentence...it's simply an oxymoron.