Raw exposed aluminium???

steviemidnight
steviemidnight Posts: 51
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
So my current commuter is looking a bit worse for wear, components are all good as they have been replaced as necessary hence i can't bring my self to ditch the bike.

Basically my dilemma is as follows:
Paint is scuffed and scratched and i'd like to strip the bike back to its raw aluminium frame. I've read numerous articles on how to do this or get it done and that they need no treatment once back to raw. i.e. people from racers to mountain bikers who highly recommend it.

However:
As anyone done this?
How does the frame react to salt and the shitty London roads in winter - i commute regardless if conditions so snow salt etc.
Can you recommends a paint stripper, ball barnishing place in SE, E London?

Let me know your thoughts or shall i just buy a new frame :)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    My son's frankenbike is just bare aluminium, it oxidises and looks a bit rough but I've been told the aluminium oxide is a tougher finish than the natural aluminium, don't know if there's any truth in that. The main advantages are that it looks a bit scabby so it is less likely to get stolen. It's actually a really nice Kinesis frame that we bought off Ebay for £10 because it looked shabby so there were no other bidders.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeop, it oxisises and protects the frame. However road salt is powerful stuff, so kep an eye on it and wash of quickly.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    It'll be a lot of work and you'll have to maintain it, otherwise it'll go grey/dull.

Powdercoat it instead.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    having gone to the effeort of stripping it down to bare metal, surely its worth laquering it with a clear coat at that point?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    t4tomo wrote:
    having gone to the effeort of stripping it down to bare metal, surely its worth laquering it with a clear coat at that point?
    Only if you want it to look a bit bling. The scruffy look works in other ways as mentioned, depends on what you want out of it.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Aluminium is rarely used without a finish on consumer components, especially for use outdoors. Aluminium surfaces oxidise very quickly when exposed to oxygen in the air and this oxide layer is indeed more durable than the surface would otherwise be. Bike frames are not made from pure aluminium, they're all alloys which have better strength, fatigue resistence and other structural properties ideal for bikes. However, I think most aluminium alloys produce less robust oxide layers that are more vulnerable to corrosion. The most common solution is to anodise aluminium alloy components which produces a thick and consistent oxide layer that is harder and more durable than the raw finish and usually looks better too.
    You could get your frame anodised after you've stripped it but I've no idea how much it would cost to get this done. Basic anodising may not be hugely expensive although I reckon the price would rise quickly if you wanted any custom colouring etc...
  • thanks for replies,
    I like the scruffy look, well i'd brush it with wire wool, so if i get any scratches i can just rough them up. i know it oxidises which like you mentioned it apparently protects it and will look grey my boss bought a old Raleigh Special projects Ti frame and it looked awesome.

But i'm kind of considering the dame Scott CP1 SL frame as an easier alternative now. i can't resist a bargain but i hate the thought of loads kicking around london. But would make the 20m commute a little nicer
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My daily ride a raw aluminium road bike that lives outside and rarely gets a proper washing. The frame was quite old when it was given to me and I've had it for a couple of years now.

Its fine.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Interesting research project - pretty much +1 to all that Ai-1 said.
    If it's 7000 series and left uncoated it will be buggered in a couple of seasons, never mind winter.
    If it's 6000 series it might last a bit longer.
    If you can afford to have it stripped and plated with 15 microns minimum electroless nickel, that would be durable.
    Anodising process might weaken welds esp. hard anodising.

All the best
    DB
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    Interesting research project - pretty much +1 to all that Ai-1 said.
    If it's 7000 series and left uncoated it will be buggered in a couple of seasons, never mind winter.
    If it's 6000 series it might last a bit longer.
    If you can afford to have it stripped and plated with 15 microns minimum electroless nickel, that would be durable.
    Anodising process might weaken welds esp. hard anodising.

All the best
    DB
    :?
    Ignore this. Reading about cyclists' take on science can be like getting the news from National Enquirer sometimes. High end aluminium frames lose their stiffness after each ride, didn't you know? Don't buy magnesium wheels, they catch fire. Put helium in your tubes, it makes your bike lighter. If you scratch carbon, its broken. Don't leave carbon fibre out in the sun. Or the snow. Don't use degreaser on your chain, its literally totally impossible to get oil back on all the exposed moving parts you can see with your own eyes. Yawn.

A quick wiki scan with aid of a couple of chemistry degrees suggests to me that your main issue could be galvanic corrosion. This probably explains the effects of road salt as well, because in solution its an electrolyte.

Anyway, I suspect EKE and ai_1 have it about right. Why not just give it a try, if you are thinking of getting a new frame anyway. I very much doubt it will dissolve this winter.
  • May I use the word "amphoteric"? It's a great word - right up there with azeotropic.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Put helium in your tubes, it makes your bike lighter.
    But it does, very minutely :wink:
  • Put helium in your tubes, it makes your bike lighter.
    But it does, very minutely :wink:
    Not as much as letting the air out altogether.