Raising threadless forks

Nubster
Nubster Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in The workshop
I'm considering replacing a suspension fork on a MTB frame with a rigid fork, for commuting. The forks will, I assume, be shorter than the suspension forks due to the added height the suspension adds, which will cause the bike to dip forward. Can I add spacers to the bottom of the steerer tube, sitting on the crown, to effectively lengthen the forks?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the ridged fork SHOULD be of a length that is comparable to the sagged sus fork.

and NO. But you can add spacers below the stem to raise the stem and bars.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nubster
    Thanks for that. Next question: how do I find forks that are longer? The ones I can find on Ebay seem to be standard size only.
  • Balaclavas
    Balaclavas Posts: 61
    Look for suspension corrected rigid forks. On-one make them, as do a number of other companies.
  • Nubster
    Cheers. :)
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    obviously, you want to measure the centre of the front wheel axle to the bottom of the fork crown race and find a rigid fork of comparable size - suspension fork length differs quite a bit
  • Nubster
    Luckily some inexpensive ones on the On-One website are the perfect length, axle to crown. :)
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    great
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most MTB biased Hybrids as standard run suspension corrected as many shares frames with MTB's, 2 for certain are Carrera Subway and Marin Point Reyes.

Any MTB rigid fork is likely to be suspension corrected for obvious reasons.

Look at the Mosso lightweight ones on ebay.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.