Does riding build upper body muscle?

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I ask as something quite odd seems to be happening...

I got my first bike this year, and have ridden it pretty solidly (read obsessively), racking up about 1500k this year. I also started running, and have done, I would think, close to 750k.

Apart from loosing some weight (I'm now 10st 4ish, down from 11st 12ish), I seem to be building some muscle, in particular in my arms. I suppose logically, you can just see it now as I am a lower body fat percentage (I am starting to see a six pack appear), but is it possible that cycling is building muscle? It seems to make no sense to me! Previously I'd flex my arms and see nothing, now there is a very noticable bicep.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• Given the mechanics of cycling you'd think that, on the whole, the answer would be 'no'. At least not directly.

From memory I believe it has been shown that exercising any part of the body can have some (small) effect on parts of the body that are not being exercised. E.g. people who have a leg that is in plaster for months are encouraged to exercise the un-injured limb as it reduces the wastage in the injured/immobile limb.

No idea how significant the impact is though. Is it more likely you've just reduced your fat though?
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Doubt it will build muscle, but it will definitely tone them. That and just getting leaner will show your guns in the best light.

Good work
  • soundb0y
    soundb0y Posts: 18
    How do you tone a muscle?
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Just look at the guns on Wiggo etc.....
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    soundb0y wrote:

For the arm muscles I use 2 cans of Heinz beans (ones without sausages) in each hand and do bicep curls.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    soundb0y wrote:

For the arm muscles I use 2 cans of Heinz beans (ones without sausages) in each hand and do bicep curls.

Lol, don't the sausages add extra weight though?

Seriously, cycling uses legs so legs will get stronger as a result. Work the upper body off the bike if you see the need.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Seriously, cycling uses legs so legs will get stronger as a result.

er, no they won't ;)
  • Camcycle1974
    Imposter wrote:

er, no they won't ;)

Sorry? Resistance training causes muscle adaptation resulting in increased power output. Otherwise what would be the point of interval training to increase wattage? Please enlighten me if I am missing the downright obvious. :mrgreen:
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

er, no they won't ;)

Sorry? Resistance training causes muscle adaptation resulting in increased power output. Otherwise what would be the point of interval training to increase wattage? Please enlighten me if I am missing the downright obvious. :mrgreen:

'Strength' is often used incorrectly in cycling terms, when what people really mean is 'fitness'. Cycling is submaximal. Strength (in terms of its dictionary definition) is generally increased by pushing/lifting weights at or beyond maximal limits - something which you will probably never do in cycling, except maybe at the start of a track sprint. Your fitness will obviously improve through cycling, but your legs are unlikely to actually get physically stronger, beyond certain minimal improvements. Plenty of dicussions on this in the training forum.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well personally I have lossed upper body mass since cycling,but legs have got stronger.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • mpatts
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    soundb0y wrote:

I had a slight LOL at this :D

I should have added I really couldn't care about what I look like. It's why I'm happy to ride a Planet X :lol:
    Insert bike here:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

er, no they won't ;)

'Strength' is often used incorrectly in cycling terms, when what people really mean is 'fitness'. Cycling is submaximal. Strength (in terms of its dictionary definition) is generally increased by pushing/lifting weights at or beyond maximal limits - something which you will probably never do in cycling, except maybe at the start of a track sprint. Your fitness will obviously improve through cycling, but your legs are unlikely to actually get physically stronger, beyond certain minimal improvements. Plenty of dicussions on this in the training forum.
    Oh no! Not again! :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • imposter2.0
    seanoconn wrote:
    Oh no! Not again! :lol:

I know....I think I'll stop there.. ;)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Imposter wrote:
    Strength (in terms of its dictionary definition) is generally increased by pushing/lifting weights at or beyond maximal limits - something which you will probably never do in cycling, except maybe at the start of a track sprint. Your fitness will obviously improve through cycling, but your legs are unlikely to actually get physically stronger, beyond certain minimal improvements. Plenty of dicussions on this in the training forum.
    My thighs have got dramatically bigger since I started road cycling last October.

I've done no other exercise of any kind since then.

I haven't got any peer-reviewed papers to quote, but the empirical evidence is that I can now barely get my legs into my jeans (and no, I haven't just washed them... 8) .
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Does it really take 14 replies to say "no"?

No, it doesn't.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Does it really take 14 replies to say "no"?

No, it doesn't.
    It might, if there's not a lot of muscle there to start with, and the rider does a lot of pulling on the bars - climbing, for instance.

See my comment above - it's clearly possible to build at least some muscle, or somehow increase the volume of muscle already present, by exercising at less than maximum loading.

So I don't see any reason why there might not be some effect on the upper body as well, if there's a lot of pulling on the bars.

More likely to be increased visibility of already existing muscle, though, if overall there's significant fat loss.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I would think it should actually. I find I have to hold the handle bars quite tightly when putting a lot of effort in from a standing start or when going up hill an some of that force must be transfered to the arms.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mpatts wrote:

I got my first bike this year, and have ridden it pretty solidly (read obsessively), racking up about 1500k this year. I also started running, and have done, I would think, close to 750k.

Apart from loosing some weight (I'm now 10st 4ish, down from 11st 12ish), I seem to be building some muscle, in particular in my arms. I suppose logically, you can just see it now as I am a lower body fat percentage (I am starting to see a six pack appear), but is it possible that cycling is building muscle? It seems to make no sense to me! Previously I'd flex my arms and see nothing, now there is a very noticable bicep.

You're not building muscle.. just losing body fat.

You shouldn't be able to work your arms cycling anyway since they should be numb from the effort going into your legs :wink:
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    mpatts wrote:

You're not building muscle.. just losing body fat.

You shouldn't be able to work your arms cycling anyway since they should be numb from the effort going into your legs :wink:

That. Certainly my core was not particularly washboard-like until I started working on it, and my girly arms (I'm a bit of a beanpole) are as girly as ever they have been. Unless you're Abdou, you probably won't be yanking the front end around enough for significant arm exercise anyway. :lol:
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Since doing longer rides on a regular basis, I have lost upper body muscle mass. I went to the gym for the first time on the weekend and could barely bench 70kg, whereas before I could do 85kg.
  • polska1979
    polska1979 Posts: 152
    One of my pet hates! You cannot 'tone' a muscle

You lose fat and build muscle through hypertrophy (breaking down of muscle fibres and allowing your body to repair) which as a result gives you a more toned appearance

I'll get back in my box now :-)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    rasmussen.jpg

Michael Rasmussen gives us all something to aspire to.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    And I thought my tan lines were bad from the weekend lol. Although I have a watch strap to add to mine lol
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Imposter wrote:

er, no they won't ;)

Why can I go to the gym and smash out the entire stack on the leg press?

I couldn't do this before years of cycling... just saying.

..cue 30 pages :wink:
  • I'm new to all this so not sure how valid this is but I read that cycling boosts testosterone levels that plus a small amount of upper body effort could result in some muscle gains?.
  • I'm new to all this so not sure how valid this is but I read that cycling boosts testosterone levels that plus a small amount of upper body effort could result in some muscle gains?.

It takes a large amount of upper body effort for hypertrophy to occur. I suggest unclipping and doing dips on your bars. :D
  • mpatts
    Me, yesterday

ditan18_daniel_3.JPG
    Insert bike here:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just remember that to be really an on form cyclist - you will always be too fat, that is until your race cut stretchfit ss jersey arms start to flap about... then you are are ready to crush all opposition.
  • Camcycle1974
    rasmussen.jpg

He's sexy and he knows it. Not a good look really is it? Emaciated is the best word to describe his conditioning in the pic.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    rasmussen.jpg

He's sexy and he knows it. Not a good look really is it? Emaciated is the best word to describe his conditioning in the pic.
    christ, if that's what I'm going to look like then I might as well give up now, bloody awful ...