Total newbie needs some advice

jameswilson
jameswilson Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Not really sure where to start...

Played rugby for last 14 years until this summer when a bad fib break ruled me out for foreseeable future. Looking now for a new fitness drive and eyeing up road cycling!
The thing is im not sure where to start, took my old bike to cycle shop whereby they told me that new road bike would cost around £750, now im sure that alot of bikes do but i was thinking of something less than £300, is this even possible?
Could anyone recommend me not only a bike but what i should be looking for? and what other accessories etc i might need? clipless/normal pedal etc

thanks

James
28 year old ex :( rugby player

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Best bike for £300 is the triban 3 from decathlon,very well reviewed and popular.Also you will need padded shorts as a minimum.the forum has lots of info so have a good read around.
    And welcome to the forum.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Helmet, gloves/mitts (for protection in a crash)
    Lock, lights, saddlebag, lube, repair kit inc pump and inner tube.
    Padded shorts (x2), worn with no underwear, always a clean pair.
    Normal shoes and platform pedals are fine for newbie riders and safer than clipless pedals.

The only flaw of the Triban 3 is that (for the style of bike) the tyre clearance is a bit tight for winter riding with mudguards.
  • thanks for advice so far!
    oxoman: old bike is a hand me down, old hybrid heavy commuter bike, find it uncomfortable and heavy to ride!

From the comments im guessing padded shorts are a must!!
  • i am also in the same position as you, recently been told to lay of the rugby because of torn cartilage in both shoulders, i have been out alot on my carerra subway which ive had for years but fancy stepping it up a notch as ive been enjoying the long rides.

i have been looking at the triban 3 as it seems to stick out from all the others as the best value bike, i cant find a bad review anywhere. however i stumbled across the claud butler criterium (2012) bike on go outdoors for £255. does anyone have any opinion on which one is the best, i know that the claud butler looks alot more aesthetically pleasing to me and also comes with clipless pedals but i am unsure of which one to go for, any advice?
  • THE TRIBAN!
    the bike is a revelation at the price,if you can find one, they are quickly being phased out and replaced with the lesser t3a which has no carbon fork and is about 280 quid, the t3 has the 2300 thumbshifter which isnt everyones taste but if your riding the hoods its perfect
    cluad butlers have been pretty poor since the mid noughties plus the criterium comes with the stupid and dangerous paddle gear shifters on the top bar, youll regret getting it, trust me
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Could anyone recommend me not only a bike but what i should be looking for?

No problem getting a cheap starter road bike James - you can upgrade everything (over-time), including the frameset - keep an eye on the gearing - consider getting something with a compact chainset (34 inner ring) - compacts are fine for a whole range of riders - they provide an easier option when going uphill (and/or with miles in the legs). Make sure you get lights (and if using rechargeable batteries, get a charger and get used to charging them regularly) - get a track pump for use at home - and get used to regualrly doing shoulder checks when you're riding (parked cars, turning right, who's behind you in general etc etc) - total life-saver.
  • visited halfords on way home tonight, bloke didnt seem too interested in selling me a bike to be fair didnt measure me but said i needed a 54cm frame, which seemed a little small for me i thought being 6 foot 2 and 33 inch inside leg?
  • Got a Triban 3 a few weeks ago (6ft tall and 57cm frame is a perfect fit) and it's great but the pedals are awful - far too narrow - so would recommend you replace them straight away (even if it's just some cheap flat/platform pedals). Whenever I go out I seem to end up going further than I planned because it really is fun to ride. The limiting factor for distance at the moment is my lack of padded shorts so would definitely recommend those too. The 2300 thumbshifters are a bit awkward but it is actually just about possible to press them when on the drops if you have largish hands...
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    visited halfords on way home tonight, bloke didnt seem too interested in selling me a bike to be fair didnt measure me but said i needed a 54cm frame, which seemed a little small for me i thought being 6 foot 2 and 33 inch inside leg?

James - don't go back then. When I bought my road bike I went back to the shop I got my MTB from because they were great when I bought that - very helpful and full of advice for a newbie on both the bike and accessories. Different staff in the road section of the shop though and the guy I saw couldn't have seemed less interested. I left without seeing the bike I was interested in and went to a different shop where the guy couldn't have done more to help me, answering all my questions both by e-mail beforehand, and in person when I called at the shop. If they aren't interested in selling you a bike, don't be interested in buying one from them.

I've got the 2300 thumb shifters on mine and I don't mind them, but I can see why people wouldn't want them - @LonesomeWander - you must have long thumbs!! I've just been and checked and i'm a good half inch off being close!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Highly unlikely that a 54cm frame would be a good fit for a 6ft 2 rider.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    visited halfords on way home tonight, bloke didnt seem too interested in selling me a bike to be fair didnt measure me but said i needed a 54cm frame, which seemed a little small for me i thought being 6 foot 2 and 33 inch inside leg?

Same as me. My bike is 58cm frame and is fine. When I was in your position I was advised to buy a quality used bike. Sensible, but I wanted new.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    The other way to get more bike for your cash is to use the bike to work scheme if you are employed and your employer is signed up (essentially it is a tax break)
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I think you'd be unwise to spend that kind of money on a bike until you're sure it's for you. A mate of mine has ridden an £80 Carrera he got of E-bay for the last two years, he's now decided that he's definately a cyclist so has upgraded.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!