diagnosis of front end creak/ squeal type noise

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
BasicAlly won the last couple of rides I've had this really loud noise from the front end. Sounds like two metal surfaces rubbing under pressure. I've just been to the bike and noticed that the top cap has rotated about 25 degrees clockwise. I'm thinking this has to be the star nut slipping? . Would this sound feasible? How do I remove and fit a new one?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh? Can you explain better? Not sure what you mean. Top cap is redundant if the stem is tight and it was done properly
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    I was thinking that the star nut could be slowly rotating,as the top cap bolt is threaded into this would it take it round with it? Thinking the noise could be either the star nut slipping against the inside of the steerer or the top cap slipping round against the top of the stem? Not sure where else to look unless the headset is knackered
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below, strip it down and have a look at the bearings. As Chunkers said, the topcap/starnut is redundant once the stem is tightened.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can pretty much guarentee that 1/ the top cap hasn't rotated and 2/ Nothing to do with the noise...
    If the cap had rotatated what would turn it, the stem, presumably that still points straight ahead?

There is no turning force on the SFN, there may be a pull, so it won't have turned.

The top cap isn't threaded into the SFN, it's bolt is.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.