Superstar headsets...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Any reason not to get a Superstar Grande Bambino (Step-down) Headset?

It's half the price of the Hope Pick 'n' Mix equivalent
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bearings on my mates SS Integrato headset lasted 2 years before they got a bit crunchy and after 2 winters the SS replacement bearings are still spinning fine. For £25 you cant go wrong in my opinion and I cant see any reason why the bambino would be different. Of course your mates will never speak to you again for not having the right headset :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • felix.london
    ha! Got a feeling a couple of the French guys I ride with look at my bike and think that Superstar is a high end boutique British brand :lol:

Don't ride in the winter over here and summers (are usually) very dry so everything tends to last a hell of a lot longer anyway

Cheers for the info.

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstar have done a good job of not making their cheap stuff look cheap, and as the quality for the price is always very good, I see no issue with having SS parts on a bike (Have a Superstar stem, but only because I found one second hand!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The SS headset on my HT is still fine after 2 (not particularly dry/good)years.Can't fault it really.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Is Superstar gear uncool with the brand snobs then?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its shiny stuff made in Taiwan just like most other shiny stuff that costs twice the price. For some reason it gets up peoples noses, I have a SS seatpost on my hardtail and I have had a couple of snooty comments about it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    stubs wrote:
    Its shiny stuff made in Taiwan

So are Giants and Meridas, aren't they? I've had a few browses on the Superstar website and it seems like good quality, sensibly priced kit to me. Knackers to the brand snob types.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use their brake pads and grips. Good quality, good prices, and free Haribo and stickers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Free Haribo? What more could a man want?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bigger packs of free Haribo is about it....

Superstar Kevlar pads- way to go, good customer service and when I had a problem resolved very quickly and efficiently (incorrectly made Avid pads).

The Generic forged/CNC stems sold by On-One, Superstar and Bikehut are also sold under 'brand' names for about twice as much money.....I did have one and can't recall which brand it was, I kept the Superstar as I could sell the branded one for more despite it being identical under the paint/logos.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    Half my bike is made up of Superstar gear. Grips, pads, wheels (although they are Stans rims, but the hubs are SS and they were built by SS) and pedals, and I just ordered a new stem and bar from them too. It's all excellent quality kit, looks nice and at a bargain basement price. I've never had any snooty comments, although most of the people I ride with are students too, so cheapness and durability usually wins out over labels.
  • felix.london
    stubs wrote:
    I have had a couple of snooty comments.

what sad, sad, stupid people.

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    They obviously don't know about the free Haribo...